Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Using web links in variables

I am having a particular problem working with web URLs in Codeigniter, and am not sure whether it is a Codeigniter problem or a php one.

Basically, I am retrieving an html email from an email marketing application database, searching it for links and looking up the links in another table in the application.

I am retrieving the html from the table using:

Code:
$db_ac->where_in('id', $messageids);
$message_c = $db_ac->get('em_message')->num_rows();

I originally used the link and another necessary identifier to count how many occurrences there are of this link in a table (we are basically talking how many people clicked on a link).

Code:
$q = 'SELECT `em_link`.`id`, `link`, count(em_link_data.id) as uniq, sum(em_link_data.times) as multi FROM (`em_link`) left JOIN `em_link_data` ON `em_link_data`.`linkid` = `em_link`.`id` WHERE `messageid` IN (' . $messageidsstr . ') AND `link` = "' . $link . '" GROUP BY `em_link`.`link`';
$clicks = $db_ac->query($q);

This did not work all the time, and some links returned no results, so I echo'd the last_query and if I pasted that into phpmyadmin the results incorrect in my code come back correct.

I then chose a long-winded method, which got all links for the identifier . . .

Code:
$q1 = 'SELECT `em_link`.`id`, `link`, count(`em_link_data`.`id`) as uniq, sum(`em_link_data`.`times`) as multi FROM (`em_link`) LEFT JOIN `em_link_data` ON `em_link_data`.`linkid` = `em_link`.`id` WHERE `em_link`.`messageid` = ' . $id . ' GROUP BY `link`';
$clicks_sin = $db_ac->query($q1);

. . . and then ran through them comparing the link from the database with the link from the html:

Code:
foreach ($clicks_sin->result() as $sgl_row):
    if ($sgl_row->link != $link){
    }else{
        $uniqs = $uniqs + $sgl_row->uniq;
        $multis = $multis + $sgl_row->multi;
    }
    echo '<br />' . $sgl_row->link . ' <br />' . $link . '<br />';
endforeach;

However, even here the code will still not match the two links, which when they both are echo'd come out as:

http://www.catchup.org/training/signup.a...=brochure1 http://www.catchup.org/training/signup.a...=brochure1

which as you can see are identical.

The table I am getting the full html from holds that in a longtext(utf8_general_ci) field, and the link I am searching for is held in another table as a text(utf8_general_ci) field.

As I said, it is happening randomly, the majority of links are searched for perfectly. The only specific difference I can see so far is that the ones that don't work are maybe a bit longer links.

I feel like I'm going mad, does anyone have any ideas? The installation details are as follows:
  • Redhat
    php 5.4.33
    MySQL 5.1.73

Thanks for all replies!

Gz

Maybe there are spaces after the links? try trimming the link just before comparing them.

There are several notes in the PHP manual regarding various issues with attempting to do string comparison, at least one of which mentions that strings may be zero-terminated if they are pulled from certain sources.

As Avenirer noted, in this case you probably want to trim the strings before doing the comparison. You should also use !== or === instead of != and consider using the strcmp() and/or strcasecmp() functions.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB