CodeIgniter Forums

Full Version: Form Helper - set_value()
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a form setup using the CI Form Helper, mainly the set_value() feature.

The same view file with the form is used for creating new "pages", as well as editing pages, ill use the page_title as an example input from my form.
PHP Code:
<input type="text" id="page_title" name="page_title" value="<?php echo set_value('page_title', @$settings->title); ?>" /> 

So initially, that works fine..
  • If editing a page, then $settings->title will be set and the value will be the page title
  • If creating a new page, it will be empty
  • If creating a new page, and the validation fails, the value will be the previously populated value
I also have it setup so if you select the Create another page checkbox, then it will load the form again, allowing you to re-populate the fields and create another page.

The question I have is, when you populate the values in the field, hit submit, and the page is successfully created, how can I have the form loaded, with the values then being empty?
When someone checks the checkbox, and they get a new form to fill out, you want the fields all empty, not with the values that were entered in the previous instance of the form?

If yes, I did this. It involved extending the form validation library by creating a file called MY_form_validation.php in my application/libraries folder, and inserting this code.

PHP Code:
<?php
class MY_Form_validation extends CI_Form_validation {

public function __construct()

{

parent::__construct();

}

public function clear_field_data()

{

$this->_field_data = array();

return;

}

So to clear out the fields, use $this->form_validation->clear_field_data()
(08-29-2015, 04:03 PM)RobertSF Wrote: [ -> ]When someone checks the checkbox, and they get a new form to fill out, you want the fields all empty, not with the values that were entered in the previous instance of the form?

If yes, I did this. It involved extending the form validation library by creating a file called MY_form_validation.php in my application/libraries folder, and inserting this code.

PHP Code:
<?php
class MY_Form_validation extends CI_Form_validation {

public function __construct()

{

parent::__construct();

}

public function clear_field_data()

{

$this->_field_data = array();

return;

}

So to clear out the fields, use $this->form_validation->clear_field_data()

Answer: Yes

I was hoping there was a way to do it without extending the CI framework, (Trying to do as little of that as possible), but this way is definitely better than my way, thanks!
So, oddly enough, this doesnt work actually

Edit: Maybe were using diff CI versions? But the code for set_value doesnt even look for _field_data, just looks right at $this->post

form_helper.php:
PHP Code:
<?php
if ( ! function_exists('set_value'))
{

/**
     * Form Value
     * Grabs a value from the POST array for the specified field so you can
     * re-populate an input field or textarea. If Form Validation
     * is active it retrieves the info from the validation class
     * @param    string    $field        Field name
     * @param    string    $default    Default value
     * @param    bool    $html_escape    Whether to escape HTML special characters or not
     * @return    string
     */

function set_value($field$default ''$html_escape TRUE)

{

$CI =& get_instance();

$value = (isset($CI->form_validation) && is_object($CI->form_validation) && $CI->form_validation->has_rule($field))

$CI->form_validation->set_value($field$default)

$CI->input->post($fieldFALSE); // RIGHT HERE

isset($value) OR $value $default;

return ($html_escape) ? html_escape($value) : $value;

}

So I couldnt find a good way to unset $_POST without causing more errors, like in Input::_fetch_from_array().

Just gonna set a variable $empty_values, then..
PHP Code:
<?php @$empty_values || print(set_value('menu_title', @$settings->menu_title)); ?>
So sorry to have led you astray! Sad The solution I posted works under CI 2.x, and I guess version 3 changed the code in the set_value function. Here's the code for version 2.

PHP Code:
/**
 * Form Value
 * re-populate an input field or textarea.  If Form Validation
 * @access    public
 * @param    string
 * @return    mixed
 */
{
    function 
set_value($field ''$default '')
    {
        if (
FALSE === ($OBJ =& _get_validation_object()))
        {
            if ( ! isset(
$_POST[$field]))
            {
                return 
$default;
            }

return 
form_prep($_POST[$field], $field);
        }

return 
form_prep($OBJ->set_value($field$default), $field);
    }

As you can see, here the function has two possible returns, one that uses $_POST and one that uses CI's internal storage.

Don't know how you feel about resorting to Javascript for this, but this function helps me when I want to prevent someone from returning to a previously filled and submitted form. They can return to it, but the form will be blank. It's extremely simple.
Code:
function formReset() {
    this.form.reset()
}
(08-30-2015, 09:49 AM)RobertSF Wrote: [ -> ]So sorry to have led you astray! Sad The solution I posted works under CI 2.x, and I guess version 3 changed the code in the set_value function. Here's the code for version 2.

PHP Code:
/**
 * Form Value
 * re-populate an input field or textarea.  If Form Validation
 * @access public
 * @param string
 * @return mixed
 */
{
 function 
set_value($field ''$default '')
 {
 if (
FALSE === ($OBJ =& _get_validation_object()))
 {
 if ( ! isset(
$_POST[$field]))
 {
 return 
$default;
 }

return 
form_prep($_POST[$field], $field);
 }

return 
form_prep($OBJ->set_value($field$default), $field);
 }

As you can see, here the function has two possible returns, one that uses $_POST and one that uses CI's internal storage.

Don't know how you feel about resorting to Javascript for this, but this function helps me when I want to prevent someone from returning to a previously filled and submitted form. They can return to it, but the form will be blank. It's extremely simple.

Code:
function formReset() {
this.form.reset()
}

When you say "Here is the code for version 2", do you mean CI v2, or version 2 of your set_value? lol.

And I love JS, but not sure id like to use JS for this one.

My bandaid ..
PHP Code:
<?php @$empty_values || print(set_value('menu_title', @$settings->menu_title)); ?>

.. works ok for now.
On the top of CI form related stuff though... You can look at this other issue! lol
Ha, ha, no, I meant here's the code as it is in CI v2.

I'll look at your other post, though a first glance tells me it's a bit out of my league.