CodeIgniter Forums

Full Version: [split] ODBC compatibility -> CodeIgniter 3.1.0 Released?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...odbc (unixodbc) user here... what is the future compatibility with the query builder? Is it broken forever?

Thanks,
It can't be "fixed", nor is it really "broken".

It is just technically impossible to achieve, as you cannot safely generate SQL code for an unknown SQL dialect.
(09-13-2016, 04:13 AM)Narf Wrote: [ -> ]It is just technically impossible to achieve, as you cannot safely generate SQL code for an unknown SQL dialect.

...I understand, but a developer knows which dialect is using (eg: postgresql), and could be perhaps forced to specify it, when using ODBC... or that would not help?

I choose CI also because it had ODBC supported (and worked very well). When I downloaded 3.0, ODBC query builder compatibility attracted me, and I already used it widely. Now the first minor release would break most of my app models...  Of course I could continue using CI even without the query bulder, but I'd loose all its benefits.

My apps are data driven by a java data integration framework which also exposes data through ODBC so, on php, I can't do much differently. CI support for ODBC was one key factor allowing me to avoid to learn/use a java framework, using JDBC drivers (the above framework has its own JDBC driver)... if nothing can be done, I will reconsider that, soon, I fear, even if it will be a long learning path..