CodeIgniter Forums

Full Version: upgrade from beta v1.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm taking a look at an old source base for a client - it was built using beta 1.0 and does not appear to have ever been updated. I think the project must have been shelved in 2011 or something. 

My initial thought was to get it to build first. Then take some dives into the code. Am I crazy thinking I can upgrade to CodeIgniter latest? It appears this would entail a couple dozen upgrades: https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta...ading.html

I appreciate any advice and thoughts anybody may have on this.

I was hoping to do this in VS 2019 where I have installed a one month trial of PHP Tools - so yes I was hoping to wrap this project up in a month or less ;-)
It depends on the size of the project. With that old code, I bet it's not up to standard even if you follow all steps from start to finish.
It probably will be better and easier to start fresh and re-make it from scratch.

If you want to have a go with it, you will need to download the latest 2.x and do all the steps in between your version and 2.x. When you get 2.x up and running I would migrate into 3.x. You can still get hold on the old version (if you want to go 1.0 beta to 1.7.3 first) if you try hard enough. At this moment there are no official place to get hold of them.
Pretty sure the client won't want to hear "start over" but if it is the right call it is the right call. I'm going to give it a go migrating to 2.x first. I'll post back for interest on progress. I'll need some evidence if this is better a do over.
You will most likely have to re-write it all over again.
(02-20-2020, 02:21 PM)michael00543 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure the client won't want to hear "start over" but if it is the right call it is the right call. I'm going to give it a go migrating to 2.x first. I'll post back for interest on progress. I'll need some evidence if this is better a do over.

Beta 1.0 is released 14 years ago https://codeigniter.com/userguide2/changelog.html (bottom)
Compared to the PHP evolution over that period and everything else it would be ridiculous attempt to upgrade it.

It is quite simple > upgrade will take more time then rewrite - so simply rewrite it!
Doesn't matter if it is small or large scale app. If it is small it should be easy, if it is large the upgrade will be crazy..  

Good Luck
@michael00543,

> My initial thought was to get it to build first

If I remember correctly an old CI 1.7 project of mine had the system files incorporated into the project. I was unable to do an upgrade and rewrote the project.

First try to get the project to run and if necessary connect to the database. If successful then create a new CodeIgniter project and gradually import the data.

Best of luck and keep us informed of your progress.
(02-21-2020, 05:26 AM)John_Betong Wrote: [ -> ]@michael00543,

> My initial thought was to get it to build first

If I remember correctly an old CI 1.7 project of mine had the system files incorporated into the project. I was unable to do an upgrade and rewrote the project.

First try to get the project to run and if necessary connect to the database. If successful then create a new CodeIgniter project and gradually import the data. 

Best of luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Hello - finally getting back to this. Shortly after posting here for advice I spent about three days attempting to get the app running, including part of a day updating the CI library. I used Visual Studio Professional 2019 with a one month trial of PHP Tools for Visual Studio 2019. This updated the PHP to v7.1 which then required also updating to the MySQLi extender for PHP. Anyway, I updated release by release from Beta 1.0 to v2.2.x using the release notes. I took a pause there, thinking to see how that would go before investing more time. I diffed the original CI files to the updated ones to find a few changes (mostly config) that were copied over by the updates. That worked well enough to get the app through the login sequence and to the initial set of pages. However, to get that far required a couple changes indicating the sources don't match the the DDL script that was included (e.g. insert statements failing for check constraints). So I stopped there and set it aside to do something other stuff that came up. Now I'm back to it.

At this point I am doing a writeup for the client - the dev group that originally created this app provided zero information to the client other than the sources. I am not sure what to recommend regarding rewrite or update for CI. That I did not run into any problems (yet) due to the CI update does not mean I won't. But given it took less than a day to get to v2.2.x, I'm thinking it is worth trying to go the rest of the way with the CI update before spending any more time tracking down the remaining differences of the sources vs. data schema. 

I appreciate any further thoughts based on this new information.
You need to also keep in mind about these updates that some of them also made
changes to the application config files etc; So keep an eye on that also.
You can do as you wish, but I highly recommend you rewrite the application with CI4. There’s so much changes between 3.1.11 and 4.0.2, and from PHP 4 to PHP 7, that you will end up rewriting it anyway. So why waste time upgrading from beta 1 (from 2006!) all the way to CI4 (2020)?