CodeIgniter Forums

Full Version: Deleting folders and their content.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm having problems when it comes to deleting specific folders. All folders get deleted inside an "uploads" folder when I only want a single folder deleted.

My application allows new companies to register on the system. When a company registers a new folder gets created inside the uploads folder specific to that company (a random md5 string is used).

My folder setup:

- public_html / htdocs
   - uploads
       - 731e315adc887be41cc84be0f5c73f76
       - b8218d22eaaca5deb91c741c4d7112dd
       - 71913f59e458e026d6609cdb5a7cc53d
       - etc...

In the app I provide admins the ability to delete companies. When a company is being deleted I want all files & subfolders inside the company specific folder deleted and then the folder itself.

The md5 string is stored in a MySQL database (as 'uploads_folder') along with other info about the company.

In the delete function in the Companies class I get the company info using the following:
PHP Code:
$company_folder $this->company_lib->get_uploads_folder($id); 

The get_uploads_folder function inside the Company_lib library simply returns the full path:

PHP Code:
public function get_uploads_folder($company_id)
{

$company $this->CI->company_model->fields('uploads_folder')->get($company_id);

return FCPATH 'uploads'DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR $company['uploads_folder'];

I then load the file helper and call the delete_files function:
PHP Code:
$this->load->helper('file');

// delete all uploaded files for the company
delete_files($company_folderTRUE); 

When the delete_files function runs it deletes all folders inside the uploads folder instead of just deleting the one specific to that company.

What am I doing wrong?

By the way this is happening when using WAMP on my windows computer. I haven't tested it on my host yet (which uses Unix/Linux) for fear of deleting even more folders!
Have you checked that $company_folder is what you expect it to be?
After your method call in $company_folder you will have a string like that:

public_html/htdocs/uploads/731e315adc887be41cc84be0f5c73f76

This directory should be deleted with all content ... can you post yourdelete_files method. Your problem should be there ...
@Rufnex, he is using the delete_files function from CI's File Helper

My guess is that the model is returning
    public_html/htdocs/uploads

and not  
    public_html/htdocs/uploads/731e315adc887be41cc84be0f5c73f76
@dave friend: jup, you're right.

simple print out the return value to check if the path it correct.
The $company_folder does have the path to the correct folder to delete.

As I said I'm using WAMP so this is the path I get when testing it: C:\wamp64\www\foresight\public\uploads\731e315adc887be41cc84be0f5c73f76
Try to add a / to the end of your path:

C:\wamp64\www\foresight\public\uploads\731e315adc887be41cc84be0f5c73f76\
(04-21-2017, 02:55 PM)Rufnex Wrote: [ -> ]Try to add a / to the end of your path:

C:\wamp64\www\foresight\public\uploads\731e315adc887be41cc84be0f5c73f76\

I did already and it made no difference. The delete_files function does this anyway.
Try to remove the folder and content with nativ php .. if there is the same behavior you must have a config, logic or error. For e.g. like that:

Code:
function recursiveRmDir($dir)
{
    $iterator = new RecursiveIteratorIterator(new \RecursiveDirectoryIterator($dir, \FilesystemIterator::SKIP_DOTS), \RecursiveIteratorIterator::CHILD_FIRST);
    foreach ($iterator as $filename => $fileInfo) {
        if ($fileInfo->isDir()) {
            rmdir($filename);
        } else {
            unlink($filename);
        }
    }
}
(04-23-2017, 11:39 AM)Rufnex Wrote: [ -> ]Try to remove the folder and content with nativ php .. if there is the same behavior you must have a config, logic or error. For e.g. like that:

Code:
function recursiveRmDir($dir)
{
   $iterator = new RecursiveIteratorIterator(new \RecursiveDirectoryIterator($dir, \FilesystemIterator::SKIP_DOTS), \RecursiveIteratorIterator::CHILD_FIRST);
   foreach ($iterator as $filename => $fileInfo) {
       if ($fileInfo->isDir()) {
           rmdir($filename);
       } else {
           unlink($filename);
       }
   }
}

Same result. All folders inside the uploads folder got deleted. It must be a windows thing. I'm going to try it on my hosts server.