Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SprintPHP - CodeIgniter Supercharged

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014, 08:21 AM by kilishan.)

SprintPHP is a set of tools built on top of CodeIgniter that provide a common workflow and set of libraries that make creating applications a bit easier. 

For those of you familiar with my other, older, project, Bonfire, this is what will form the core of the next version of Bonfire. Sprint is primarily focused on additional developer tools, and does not provide a GUI, like Bonfire did. This makes it usable on many other types of projects. 

A brief glimpse at the features: 
  • MY_Model with powerful collection of CRUD tools, observers that act like hooks in the model, built-in validation and more.
  • Base controllers that provide simple methods for working with json, outputting data in various formats, etc.
  • Flexible, but simple, theming system that supercharges CodeIgniter's view system include view fragments, variant views (for mobile specific views), callbacks (that can call libraries or namespaced classes to get data, much like HMVC but without the heartache of calling controllers).
  • Module support built in
  • CI-3 based
  • More flexible migrations.
  • Powerful CLI-based tool with a number of commands built-in, including full-module code scaffolding to quickly generate boilerplate code for you.
  • Authentication system that strives to follow current best-practices in all areas for enhanced security, including automatic throttling.
  • Markdown-based documentation system that you can easily add your own site's help to. (See the docs over here)
  • Simple, but flexible, email theming and sending/queueing system
  • CRON-tools for easily scheduling things in your app.
  • and more...
While it's still under heavy initial development, I think it is close-enough to an Alpha release that I should shout about it, in case any wants to follow along at home.

Find out more over at GitHub

This looks very interesting. I look forward to checking it out.

Let me know if you run into any challenges using it. There's still one main item to complete and then some cleanup and refactoring but it should be usable at the moment.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014, 05:15 PM by ivantcholakov. Edit Reason: Grammar correction, wow. )

This is what CodeIgniter should have provided by now, "more cowbell".  Smile

Ha! More cowbell. Love it! That should be the motto. Smile

Sprint hit Alpha state today. Which means it's more-or-less feature complete. There's a blog post that provides more details about it.

Oh, and the readme now includes more cowbell. Smile

So what's been going on here lately? Mostly client work, honestly.

I can say that I just pushed a number of doc changes into the repo a day or two ago. Still more docs and classes to wade through, but that's the first batch of better, more accurate docs in place

Also, I was planning on keeping this as an optional module, but I decided, "Nah! The Sprint needs API!"

Yup - I've started working on some API tools (primarily for running an API server) that will ship with Sprint. These are loosely based off a project I'm in the middle of, and are being built for a personal project I want to do sometime in the future.

Currently have a basic APIController that:

- Allows you to restrict the API to HTTPS sites.
- Provides a number of response helper methods for common situations, like failResourceNotFound, failResourceGone, RespondCreated, respondDeleted, and the like.
- Works with ?page $_GET var to determine current page and offset value, as well as utility methods for generating a Next and Previous URL for data
- Responds with JSON data only. Unless there's a lot of demand for it, I don't see that changing, honestly. Any new API's should be using JSON, damn it! Smile

Currently planned items for this:

- 3 new Auth types: HTTPBasicAuth, HTTPDigestAuth, and oAuth2 (requiring Alex Bilbie's oAuth libraries).
- Rate limiting per user account and/or IP address.
- Optional logging of API calls to the database with performance stats and user info.

What other things would you like to see included in an API Server situation?

Public folder. I have it working but not sure if it will break anything.

Man I wish this could be the beginning of CI 4

(01-25-2015, 12:02 AM)ChicagoPhil Wrote: Public folder. I have it working but not sure if it will break anything.

The instructions included under the Security/Structure section should be up to date about the steps needed to do that. Let me know if I missed something, though!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB