Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 4.0 Micro-framework?

(04-17-2015, 10:44 AM)no1youknowz Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 10:27 AM)dmyers Wrote: Can you PM your lumen controller, view and route. Once I setup a controller which accepted a variable which I then sent to a view. I wasn't as impressed with the speed.

The default closure lumen uses for \ isn't a real world setup.

DM

It's out of the box.  So whatever lumen supplies I am using that.

Ya if you take a look at it, it is a closure which simple returns straight up HTML.
If you actually set it up to load a controller and build a view (like CodeIgniter does for it's welcome page) your comparison isn't as impressive.

I guess if you are looking for a micro framework to dump static html pages it certainly is fast!

(04-17-2015, 11:50 AM)dmyers Wrote: Ya if you take a look at it, it is a closure which simple returns straight up HTML.
If you actually set it up to load a controller and build a view (like CodeIgniter does for it's welcome page) your comparison isn't as impressive.

I guess if you are looking for a micro framework to dump static html pages it certainly is fast!

Agreed. I've actually got slim using controllers and and building views much like codeigniter. Unfortunately, I dont have the time to look at it. But I will certainly return to this thread when I do have time.

No, definitely not IMHO. Twice the support, new frustrations when something you need suddenly is not in the micro version.

And to what end? To shave miliseconds off a page load time in theoretical scenarios? To save 2 mins in installation time?

I genuinely see no reason whatsoever, unless CI ends up bloated and slow like other frameworks, which I am sure it will not.

Perhaps the sites I build are not big enough to have a valid opinion, but speed has never been an issue with CI for me.

Paul.

(04-20-2015, 07:47 AM)PaulD Wrote: No, definitely not IMHO. Twice the support, new frustrations when something you need suddenly is not in the micro version.

Nope. Take a look at Lumen and educate yourself. Big Grin

Lumen is a cool project, and definitely a nice boost compared to Laravel, however I think mine and Taylor's definition of micro-framework is a bit different. Smile I mean it's 10.4MB after pulling in dependencies and only runs that fast with everything useful turned off.

I've been playing with some ideas in a purely experimental fashion and believe it's possible to create a version of CodeIgniter that is every bit as fast as Lumen when it's using only the basics. And since nothing needs to be instantiated until it's actually used, there's no need for a micro-framework version. CI has always been a full-stack framework and that's where I, personally, think it needs to stay.

While I haven't played with Lumen and don't like Laravel all that much, I'd like to see CI4 become a micro-framework, where anything except the core is a component or package that is easily pulled in or installed via download. I've used Slim quite a bit and at one point had transformed most of the CI classes for use with it. When I finally realized that all I was using Slim for was routing, I created my own framework using Pimple, made my own router, and moved away from Slim.

I think the direction that I went, while "modern", is probably a little more advanced than many CI users would like. If we were to go in this micro-framework direction, it would be difficult to be that "easy" framework that everyone loves. I care about that, because I keep coming back to CodeIgniter just because I can get stuff done super quickly. I'm not just playing around. I have businesses and make websites professionally for people, so working quickly in a super easy environment is essential to what I do.

With all that in mind, I'm hoping that we can have a CI4 that is super easy to use, yet embraces some of the workflow that many other frameworks are utilizing. Can we have a micro-framework without blowing away the newbs?

Ok, so I did benchmark of Lumen with conditions closer to CodeIgniter out of the box (usage of Controller and View) and it confirmed suspicion that Lumen majorly tricks the tests with this. Speed of Lumen with default settings is 167 req/s. If I use simple controller and view in it instead, it shrinks to 63 req/s. CodeIgniter 3 gives 116 req/s.

when this version release?

(07-05-2015, 02:03 AM)ferdhika Wrote: when this version release?

Nobody said this version was getting released, this thread is about whether or not it should be created, which my guess is going to end up with a negative vote.

There is no "micro" framework. There are just frameworks and libraries.
CI (and most of frameworks) is set of framework and libraries.

If you don't need some libraries, you may just not use them.

Why do we need micro framework?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB