Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Planned server downtime April 19/20, 2015
Exclamation 

Our forum and website (codeigniter.com) will be offline from 01:00UTC Sunday April 19th until 07:00UTC Monday April 20th.
This would be from 6pm Saturday until Midnight Sunday, Pacific time.

BCIT's data centre, where we are hosted, will be shutdown during this period, for maintenance.
James Parry
Project Lead

God save CI!

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 09:18 AM by sv3tli0.)

I understand that BCIT's is institution and it has its procedures but we can think in future for providing backup server while main is down..
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(04-18-2015, 09:17 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: I understand that BCIT's is institution and it has its procedures but we can think in future for providing backup server while main is down..

This usually happens once a year, and for up to 4 hours. This year is an exception.
I have asked for a static page to be displayed while the server is down, but I don't control the DNS and can't say for sure if that will happen.

I am grateful that BCIT has stepped up to host the site and forum, at no cost to us. The hosting is done using on campus servers, which means that we will experience the same outages as the main BCIT site.

Do you have any budget to provide for automatic failover during such outages?

(04-18-2015, 10:26 AM)ciadmin Wrote:
(04-18-2015, 09:17 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: I understand that BCIT's is institution and it has its procedures but we can think in future for providing backup server while main is down..

This usually happens once a year, and for up to 4 hours. This year is an exception.
I have asked for a static page to be displayed while the server is down, but I don't control the DNS and can't say for sure if that will happen.

I am grateful that BCIT has stepped up to host the site and forum, at no cost to us. The hosting is done using on campus servers, which means that we will experience the same outages as the main BCIT site.

I am not aware how often this happens if its 1 time yearly by schedule its not a big deal.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

Four hours into the planned downtime, and it looks like we are back!

I checked with our IT people, and they have hot failover for mission-critical stuff, but no budget to add our sites to that. I should be able to add our sites to the temporary replacement static page displayed, for the next outtage (intentional or not).

Frankly, I think that anything announced ahead of time is fine. If it's anything like anywhere I've ever worked, a planned outage window rarely reflects actual downtime, and is even less likely to be extended beyond the planned window.

For the worst-case scenarios, keep a local copy of the documentation and you should be fine during an outage. Github is completely independent, so your ability to find and download the code for the framework (and even the source for the documentation) is not affected (though someone should be keeping a fairly frequent backup of what's on GitHub, just in case).

Thanx for the notification jlp....great job Smile

Could you please tell me about the amount of monthly bandwidth that you need to run CI website and forum?
"Who thinks in code"
Perfectly describes who I am
mbparvez.me

(06-20-2015, 02:13 PM)webdevron Wrote:

Could you please tell me about the amount of monthly bandwidth that you need to run CI website and forum?

The forum consumes .6-1 GB daily, and the main CodeIgniter website consumes 5-8 GB/day.
Combined, that would be an average of 7 GB daily, or 200+ GB per month.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB