Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 4 Proposed Roadmap

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2015, 06:45 AM by ciadmin.)

After much consideration of the community's desires and opinions, and what we feel is best for the future, the CI Council has come to some decisions about the future of your favorite framework. Be warned, there are big changes ahead, but we believe they can be done in a way that not only prepares us for the future, but still feels like CodeIgniter - simple, fast, flexible.

Here's a broad overview of what the future holds. Please remember that this is simply the initial plan. Any and all details are subject to change once development is underway.

Core Changes

The PHP community has changed drastically since the time that CodeIgniter was originally built. Many of the core elements that exist in CodeIgniter do so because it was necessary at the time. When PHP5 came out, nothing in the core changed. That can't work if CodeIgniter is going to maintain its quality and place in the future of PHP frameworks.

This means the system needs a complete rewrite.  It will be developed in a separate repository so they keep a clean separation. We imagine there are numerous chunks of code that will be reused, but the focus is on modern, clean code.

We are targetting PHP 7 since, at the anticipated release date, 5.6 will be in security maintenance mode and only have a few months until it becomes completely unsupported. Releasing with a target version that is almost dead would keep CI held back once more. We know this will not be a valid move to upgrade all apps to PHP 7 because of the variety of hosting situations, so the 3.x branch will be maintained for a while - much longer than the EOL window for the 2.x branch after the 3.x release.

The application and system directories will both work with PSR-4 autoloading. CodeIgniter will use our own autoloader, as well as integrate Composer for those times you need it.

The individual components would be packaged in some way so that they can, for the most part, be used outside of CodeIgniter in your other projects.

Packages/Modules

We will lose the idea of Packages and modules. Don't panic! That's only because you can use name-spaced classes to handle most of the same things - at least for Controllers and Models. For the others, like views, config files, helpers, etc. we believe that we can make those work in your namespaces, also, so that all of the capabilities of packages, and the route-ability of modules, will exist in any directory that you can tell the autoloader how to find.

Routing

Routing will be updated and feature the ability to turn off the "magic routing" that maps the URI directly to controller/method so that you can choose your development preferences. Either the "magic way" or by specifying each individual route in the routes file.

Improved Logging

Logging will be improved, though the specifics are yet to be determined.

Testing

We will be using PHPUnit for our tests like we do currently. This will also mean the tools you need to test your own applications will be there ready for you to use.

Backwards Compatibility

As you can tell from the above, this is definitely a BC breaking version. We do think it is the best for the future of the framework and the developers that use it. By making a major change here, we set the base to work with for many years forward. We will attempt to ease the transition where possible, though how much we are able to do that and provide a modern codebase is yet to be seen.

We will do our best to maintain what has made CodeIgniter as popular over the years as it has been. Namely the speed, simplicity, and the "feel".

Development Timeline

Development will be split into three phases, described below.

The following libraries will be removed from core and treated as optional downloads: Typography, FTP, ZIP, and XML-RPC.

The Cart, Javascript, Unit_test, and Trackback libraries will be removed.

We expect to have an alpha version of the core ready in less than a year. After that we would focus on improving the core and developing the rest of the packages to work with it. Exact timelines will vary, of course, depending on all of the things typical of open source projects like the quantity and quality of community contributions, as well as the available time and life events of the core contributors.

Phase 1 

The first phase would focus on nailing the essentials in the framework. This would ensure that all of the parts needed to make it work were in place and working well. This would include:
  • Autoloader
  • Dependency Injection
  • Logging
  • Exception Handling
  • HTTP Request/Response Layers (or Input/Output)
  • Routing
  • Controllers
  • Models
  • Database Layer
  • Config
  • Security

Phase 2

This second phase focuses on providing and refining the existing classes and features that CodeIgniter users know and love. This would include:
  • The helpers
  • Language/Localization features
  • Caching
  • Email
  • Encryption
  • Form Validation
  • Image Library
  • Pagination
  • Uploader
  • Sessions
  • Views
  • Debugging and Profiling Tools

Phase 3 - Optional Libraries

The third phase includes fleshing out and working on the optional packages. At this point, the framework can be released and need not wait for these libraries to be brought up to date.
  • FTP
  • XML-RPC
  • Zip
  • Typography
  • Template Parser

We are excited by the opportunities ahead for the framework and looking forward to getting started on the framework very soon. We can't wait to see what this enables you to build in the future.

Good choices, particularly with Namespaces and PHP7
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

I hope this year Big Grin
My bad, my english 10:32 AM

Seems good. Who will be the main contributors?

(08-05-2015, 09:50 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Seems good. Who will be the main contributors?

Right now it looks like Narf and I will be the primary developers on it, though I believe Ben Edmunds and James Parry might be able to help out a bit as their time allows.

I can only hope this would be the one big compatibility breaking release for a couple of years, just to catch up with current PHP standards.
I understand that at some point you have no other choice but to do some code refactoring. BUT, promise you won't go the Joomla way (let's rewrite and break everything every 18 months just for fun) Tongue
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

(08-07-2015, 04:44 AM)aiamk Wrote: Dear Kilishan,

Thank you...

Do you encourage users to go with Laravel framework? what are the differences?

Why would I do that? I'm helping to create a new version of CodeIgniter. If I thought Laravel was the best solution I'd continue using it for my projects. And I have used it and it's got some nice stuff. However, I think it tries to hard and enforces too much on the user in many ways. CI3 is still a great framework to use. CI4 will be the same. The goal is to be modern, but to be light, fast, full-featured like it currently is, and not too opinionated. One of the things that I have started to take fairly seriously in my own work lately, is the view that my application should be structured in such a way that the framework is something the application uses, not something that the application is built on. It's kind of a strange practice after all of these years, but my hope is that CI4 will make all of that even easier by making it easy to load your own classes and code "clean" if you want to, or to continue basing the application on the framework. I'll stop that ramble for now...

(08-07-2015, 07:48 PM)includebeer Wrote: I can only hope this would be the one big compatibility breaking release for a couple of years, just to catch up with current PHP standards.
I understand that at some point you have no other choice but to do some code refactoring. BUT, promise you won't go the Joomla way (let's rewrite and break everything every 18 months just for fun) Tongue

Rebuilding like everyone is doing nowadays every release with huge BC breaks is definitely NOT something that any of us want to do. The plan is one large change now that sets everything up for stable releases for years. At least, that's the hope.

(08-07-2015, 08:13 PM)kilishan Wrote: Rebuilding like everyone is doing nowadays every release with huge BC breaks is definitely NOT something that any of us want to do. The plan is one large change now that sets everything up for stable releases for years. At least, that's the hope.

That's awesome! Long live CI ! Cool
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

I like the idea with PHP 7 very much.
I was already thinking which Framework will go for it first Smile

I hope that CI 4 is the first one based on php 7 with all its new features Smile
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

This sounds awesome Big Grin Keep up the good work
Website: marcomonteiro.net  | Blog: blog.marcomonteiro.net | Twitter: @marcogmonteiro | TILThings: tilthings.com

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB