Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is Codeigniter 3 php 7 ready?

I am building codeigniter 3 app. I want to make sure is codeigniter 3 php 7 ready??

or if not. than is it support php 7 in future in 3.x branch ??

It appears that CI3 is tested against PHP7, but those unit tests are allowed to fail. I would not assume that CI3 is PHP7 ready, nor that it will explicitly support PHP7.

CI4 is explicitly targeting PHP7.

You can see the status of unit testing: https://travis-ci.org/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter

When CI3 was released, PHP7 wasn't even in Alpha stage (IIRC), so you can't reasonably expect it to be ready for that.

That being said, it is being tested against nightly PHP7 builds and it should run just fine on it, there's no reason not to. If something breaks under PHP7, we'll fix it, if that's your question.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 06:49 AM by Vimal.)

(09-23-2015, 05:11 AM)Narf Wrote: If something breaks under PHP7, we'll fix it, if that's your question.
Thanks I found my answer. Smile

hey if anyone else has tested their CI App with PHP 7 would be very interested to hear your experiences especially if you tested for speed improvements.

and PHP 7 final version -- is coming in just one month! November 12th is planned release date. So if CI 3 is ready for PHP 7 -- suggest that fact be prominently featured on home page, announcements, etc -- because everyone will be asking, they will be googling for php 7 frameworks, and its a great promo for codeigniter.  there is a huge speed increase with php 7 so i think there will be a lot of interest besides the usual "shiny & new" excitement. 

CI 3 is based on php standards for PHP 5.3.X.
CI team has made it to work on servers with all PHP versions 5.3 +
The same thing is made and for PHP 7 so it wont matter in which version is your server working.

This is only about the SYSTEM folder which is the framework Core.
What is written in the APP is Developer work and only you / him may say which PHP version it supports.

If you have used something from PHP 5.6 at your app it wont work on PHP 5.5 or less.
Same for PHP 7
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

i think we understand that the code we write has to be compatible with PHP 7. we are asking about/talking about the framework itself, which yes is mostly contained in the system folder. having our codeigniter application be compatible with PHP 7 is not the issue. knowing that the framework is compatible means that every single library, helper, etc in the framework has been checked -- the codeigniter organization puts their stamp of approval on it -- and it becomes part of the framework description.

maybe for some larger context - every major framework is publicizing their compatibility with PHP 7. they are not saying php 5.3 +
in one month when PHP 7 is released there will be an avalanche of tutorials, announcements, books, videos, and fuzzy elephants. people will be searching for frameworks that state explicitly that they work with PHP 7. i want to see Codeigniter in on that because it seems like if Codeigniter is one of the fastest frameworks on php 5, its going to be supersonic with php 7 .

(10-08-2015, 01:26 PM)cartalot Wrote: i think we understand that the code we write has to be compatible with PHP 7. we are asking about/talking about the framework itself, which yes is mostly contained in the system folder. having our codeigniter application be compatible with PHP 7 is not the issue. knowing that the framework is compatible means that every single library, helper, etc in the framework has been checked -- the codeigniter organization puts their stamp of approval on it -- and it becomes part of the framework description.

maybe for some larger context - every major framework is publicizing their compatibility with PHP 7. they are not saying php 5.3 +
in one month when PHP 7 is released there will be an avalanche of tutorials, announcements, books, videos, and fuzzy elephants. people will be searching for frameworks that state explicitly that they work with PHP 7. i want to see Codeigniter in on that because it seems like if Codeigniter is one of the fastest frameworks on php 5, its going to be supersonic with php 7 .

There won't be any Security Stable Framework to use PHP 7 features at least until the middle of next year.
Even Linux distributions will not push it as stable package until new year (some of them will wait a lot longer).
Compatibility is the only realistic thing which you can expect at the first half year of php 7 life. 

And CI already has roadmap about CodeIgniter 4 which will start with PHP 7 as minimum version.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

cartalot has a valid point.

Symfony achieves 100% PHP7 compatibility (August 11, 2015)
http://symfony.com/blog/symfony-achieves...patibility

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB