Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
pyrocms

(02-14-2016, 10:58 AM)includebeer Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 12:28 AM)orionstar Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 10:08 PM)enlivenapp Wrote: There's a small contingent waiting to port PyroCMS 2.2.x (last CI version) to CI v4...  Obviously, it'll be released under a different name though.

Is it public? Exactly who is involved in that rewrite? Is it already started?

Until CI4 is released I doubt they can start the rewrite! And I think we are very far from a release...

Sorry, I didn't subscribe to the thread....   Blush

There were a bunch of people talking on the old PyroCMS forums, and I've been very interested in keeping PyroCMS going in CI.  I've talked to Ryan (the new owner of PyroCMS) and he's keen on letting the CI versions die off.  The good thing about it is most of the code is publicly available to use (under MIT?) so it could be used and ported.

At this point the CI PyroCMS needs some serious updating (especially the admin areas) if not a complete rewrite but if we can find a core group of committed folks that really want to keep PyroCMS going (under a different name) and keep it open source, I'd be game in helping or even heading up the dev team...

Also, now subbed to the thread.

(10-11-2016, 11:36 AM)enlivenapp Wrote: Sorry, I didn't subscribe to the thread....   Blush

There were a bunch of people talking on the old PyroCMS forums, and I've been very interested in keeping PyroCMS going in CI.  I've talked to Ryan (the new owner of PyroCMS) and he's keen on letting the CI versions die off.  The good thing about it is most of the code is publicly available to use (under MIT?) so it could be used and ported.

At this point the CI PyroCMS needs some serious updating (especially the admin areas) if not a complete rewrite but if we can find a core group of committed folks that really want to keep PyroCMS going (under a different name) and keep it open source, I'd be game in helping or even heading up the dev team...

Also, now subbed to the thread.

Until last year I followed the community channels everywhere (forum, irc, facebook page / group) and there wasn't any serious attempt to save PyroCMS as a CI based CMS. I don't know where do you saw that. 

About the licensing: Honestly I am not a lawyer so I'm not sure how it's possible to continue. In Pyro there were a bunch of libraries with different licences (MIT, Apache, OSL etc.) some things not licensed at all, some things have copyrighted by Pyro LLC or Phil Sturgeon with a made up license (dbad). Even CI 3.0 dev had a different license then now...

In conclusion, I don't think anybody should continue Pyro now despite of I was a huge fan of it too. The code is very old, the licensing issue is a serious problem too, it would require a complete rewrite in all areas. And the most important thing, we are near to CI4, which is 100% incompatible with PyroCMS 2.2 what was based on CI 3 dev from ~2013... CI 4 release will be a great oportunity to start with a blank slate and we should wait till then.

Also I see another huge problem: every popular CMS was backed by a company, without that support there is not enough dev hours to create something remarkable. Currently the most popular CMS based on CI (Fuel CMS) is also created by a company.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 12:37 PM by enlivenapp.)

It was a thread on the forum...  early this year before Ryan moved everything around to the new site and such.  maybe the thread was lost? I'll take a quick look for it.

I am of a similar opinion.  CI4 is hugely different...

I mostly agree with your conclusion, The best that could be hoped for is starting from a blank slate as well.  However, where we differ, is using PyroCMS as a generalized template would result in a pretty decent CMS folks could expand on...

CI4 will probably need a CMS that's easy to develop on and easy for the end user as well to help CI come back from... "enter all the griping about how dead CI is here"

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2016, 10:07 AM by dmyers.)

Being originally a EE developer that switch to PyroCMS I based a lot of my CodeIgniter GUI/CMS framework "extension" on the same type of software design philosophy.

Add a module - it can add config settings, menu items, access levels, routes and contain it's own controllers, models, libraries, views, etc...
Remove that module and it can remove them.

I haven't had the time to keep up on my project for the past few months for personal reason but the bones are still there.

I have taken the time to test a few "key" features on CodeIgniter 4 and they are still "do able" just a little differently now.

One of my design philosophy's with the project was to keep the additional libraries and models to a minimum to make porting and testing easier. The GUI it self is a module for example which actually provides the backend Controllers and Views.

Just my 2 cents but, there are a lot of good GUI design "ideas" in EE/PyroCMS. Under the hood is what is different.

DMyers

http://projectorangebox.github.io/site/slides.html

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB