Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Asking for help or asking for free build time

Hi,

I love CI and love all the hard work that we all do and post here to help each other. And I like helping out where I can.

But lately it seems there are more and more forum members that don't seem make an effort or take the time needed to study the very easy to read and use CI documentation. A lot also don't even seem to have a basic understanding of PHP, HTML, CSS or JavaScript.

Like I said, I'm all for helping, but when a member starts asking things like this

Quote:Can anybody provide me with simple coding for (1) Inserting & Submitting an email address and sending the Code. and (2) Inserting & Submitting the code and moving to the username & password page. and (4) Sending the extended username & password to the email address?

I get annoyed.

It's like asking, I want this, can you build it for me and I will take all the credit for your work.

Do these members have a place here? What do other members here think of this issue?

Kind regards,
Martin

Yes, I fully agree. But its not only this forum. This seems to be happening in a lot other places.

I like to help as well. I do remember how hard it was 30 years ago to learn programming without the help of the internet and get any answer in a few minutes. But so many of the new guys don't even bother to read the manual, try a few tutorials or build some small sample pages to get familiar with the framework.

If you ask a question I expect you have at least tried this for half a day to work out yourself. Or an hour at the minimum. I do get the feeling that they pretend to be the magic coder, take on any job and expect the internet (and thats all of us) to do the work for them. Coding is hard work, lots of sweat and swearing and even more trying and testing.

Please do ask question when you stuck and we will help you gladly. We all have been there and we all appreciate any help we get. But dont expect us to do your work for you and for free as well.

End of rant.
On the package it said needs Windows 7 or better. So I installed Linux.

I often get the feeling that students are looking for easy answers to class assignments.

It boils down to "Why should I do it if I can get you to do it".

In the old days computer programming was a black art and you needed to know someone
to get any correct answers.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(05-26-2017, 05:37 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: In the old days computer programming was a black art and you needed to know someone
to get any correct answers.

Back in the day (80s & 90s) Usenet Newsgroups were my "go to" source for answers. But I always attempted to find a solution before asking for help. The participants were mostly pros with real-world problems and it was very educational to follow the discussions. It is annoying how prevalent "do this for me" posts have become.

So what should we do?

Should we ignore members who are asking the build this for me questions and report them?

I always preferred answered that pointed me in the right direction rather then finished solutions as I learned much more that way.
I dont think anybody learns and get better from finished solutions.

Rather then ignoring them completely maybe we should answer with a few pointers and how to solve their particular problem. Yes I realize that this means a lot of the some answers on a few posts but the really interested and passinate newcomer will stay and appreciate it while the time waster and spongers will just go away.
On the package it said needs Windows 7 or better. So I installed Linux.

(05-26-2017, 07:27 AM)rtenny Wrote: I always preferred answered that pointed me in the right direction rather then finished solutions as I learned much more that way.

Rather then ignoring them completely maybe we should answer with a few pointers and how to solve their particular problem. Yes I realize that this means a lot of the some answers on a few posts but the really interested and passinate newcomer will stay and appreciate it while the time waster and spongers will just go away.

That is true.

(05-26-2017, 07:27 AM)rtenny Wrote: I always preferred answered that pointed me in the right direction rather then finished solutions as I learned much more that way.

Complete agreement from me.

(05-26-2017, 07:27 AM)rtenny Wrote: Rather then ignoring them completely maybe we should answer with a few pointers and how to solve their particular problem.  Yes I realize that this means a lot of the some answers on a few posts but the really interested and passinate newcomer will stay and appreciate it while the time waster and spongers will just go away.

For me it comes down to "I wrote this code and cannot see why it doesn't work" vs "Write code for me".

I'll help the former if I can but ignore the later.

(05-26-2017, 09:05 AM)dave friend Wrote:

Complete agreement from me.

(05-26-2017, 07:27 AM)rtenny Wrote: Rather then ignoring them completely maybe we should answer with a few pointers and how to solve their particular problem.  Yes I realize that this means a lot of the some answers on a few posts but the really interested and passinate newcomer will stay and appreciate it while the time waster and spongers will just go away.

For me it comes down to "I wrote this code and cannot see why it doesn't work" vs "Write code for me".

I'll help the former if I can but ignore the later.

I can't agree more. i am fairly new to CI myself, but i always try to do as much of the work myself.
Just look at this post for example

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB