Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why the hate for CI still

(05-26-2017, 11:40 PM)visualsol Wrote: 2) the CI version 4.x lack of timeframe of release, and lack of a solid road map

CI4 is suffering a lack of contributors, which leads to a lack of "timeframe of release".
The road map is pretty clear, IMHO: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4/milestone/2
That's what we want to finish for the next milestone.

As for BCIT, I am finding it an uphill battle to persuade the academia to jump on the open source bandwagon as contributors, or to embrace student participation for academic credit. I have a student team helping at the moment, as a pilot project, so that's a start. I am not holding my breath waiting for other contributors from the school, while I help chip away at the todo list Undecided
James Parry
Project Lead

CodeIgniter is how a PHP framework should be. Easy to setup, easy to learn, fast, reliable and flexible. As soon as a PHP framework becomes a religion within itself, its missing the point.

Don't pay any attention to devs criticising it as an outdated framework, that kind of opinion usually falls 2 categories: 1) inexperienced devs who are just repeating what they hear from others (domino effect) or more experienced devs who made some pretty bold / critical statements about CodeIgniter after Ellis left and now are simply trying rejustify their former (and incorrect) judgement.

I've developed 6 large scale projects with CI fantastically. CI and it contributors should be supported and thanked for making it what it is today. For developers looking to put a stamp on CodeIgniter, I say get involved. It certainly won't hurt your resume!

(05-27-2017, 01:25 AM)jlp Wrote: CI4 is suffering a lack of contributors, which leads to a lack of "timeframe of release".
The road map is pretty clear, IMHO: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4/milestone/2
That's what we want to finish for the next milestone.

As for BCIT, I am finding it an uphill battle to persuade the academia to jump on the open source bandwagon as contributors, or to embrace student participation for academic credit. I have a student team helping at the moment, as a pilot project, so that's a start. I am not holding my breath waiting for other contributors from the school, while I help chip away at the todo list Undecided

That's worrying Sad
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(05-19-2017, 03:22 PM)jlp Wrote: Time for me to weigh in Smile
  • Every framework is perfect for some group of developers, and CodeIgniter has a core set of those Smile There is no single framework perfect for every situation.
  • Much of the criticism directed towards CodeIgniter a few years ago was justified ... it was in limbo, with an unclear direction.
  • Much of the criticism directed towards CodeIgniter these days feels like sour grapes, in much part because CodeIgniter doesn't bundle the same addins as many (most?) of the others, but also because of the history a few years ago.
  • Some of the criticism feels like "hipsters" complaining that CI is not jumping on the latest (good or bad) bandwagon, like PSR compatibility or your favorite authentication package. We're not trying to be hipsters!
  • Some of the CI community use different frameworks for different projects, based on suitability ... smart choice.
My personal feeling is that CodeIgniter4 is going to be an eye opener for many of the CI detractors, with its flexibility at the same time as its leanness, remaining true to the CI core values. Time will tell, of course, but to paraphrase a North American advertising slogan from some time ago, "I liked it so much I adopted the project" Smile

Well said. The project I am currently working on uses Laravel, but make no mistake, I am very excited for the upcoming CodeIgniter 4 release which I appreciate is taking some time for the reasons you've outlined.

The first PHP framework I came to use was CodeIgniter, and a number of my projects were built with it. I am very confident it is in safe hands under your direction and I can't wait to see where it goes. I just hope BCIT can be persuaded to encourage more students to participate in the project, and perhaps become more directly involved for the benefit of the academia and the CodeIgniter community.

I think, there maybe is a way for speeding up the CI4 project a little, "for free". At the moment you strive to release an alpha version, maybe other alphas will follow. You can cut now activities like writing tests and documentation - they can be prepared and they are needed for the first beta testing by the public. For the alpha stage documentation and tests are burden that drain your strength, especially when need for refactoring gets realized, and they are obstacles for newcomers. Let people get involved easily at the beginning and later gradually escalate the testing and documentation issues.

Thanks for everyone's input into this thread.

I just wanted to add that I'm coming to the end of a fairly large project written using Code Igniter and it's been a joy to work with. The footprint is small and it doesn't take an age to setup, or learn. It's really intuitive and the documentation is great.

My only real concern is that my work might feel obsolete in a couple of years time when CI4 is in full swing, but alas we have to make progress with things today and can't wait.

I also see a bit of ungratefulness on these forums and elsewhere - people demanding to know when CI4 will be released, demanding to know why certain design decisions were made in CI3, etc. I just wanted to say I'm really grateful to the contributors of CI for developing and maintaining such a fantastic product, which is provided to the world for free, no less. I am well and truly hooked on CI now and will likely use it for all future projects.

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017, 07:26 PM by php_rocs.)

I have been programming with PHP for a long time.  I have worked on simple and complex projects.  I have worked with spaghetti code and awesome code.  One thing I learned about programming that still rings true today is KISS (keep it simple, stupid - thanks to my High School Teacher for this).  Codeigniter more than meets that concept.  
It is...complex in its simplicity.  
It has exceeded my expectations in more ways than you can imagine.  I have done, in my opinion, some awesome prototypes and projects using Codeigniter.  I have WOWED clients with it's ease of use and documentation.  Codeigniter is AWESOME!!  As my plate becomes less full, my plan is to start contributing in ways that will assist the CI community.

I don't listen to haters because they don't impact my work...I impact my work.  I know what works for me.  Every framework goes through it's highs and lows but what makes CI awesome is the fact that it was able to pick itself up, dust of the dirt and still be in the conversation as one of the top five best frameworks there is today...and let's not forget that Laravel would not be if it were not for CI (read the history).

The top reason I like using CodeIgniter is that I can dig into the system files and easily understand how everything is put together. I personally don't like my frameworks stuffed with everything but the kitchen sink with lots of magic methods that make things really convenient until you hit an edge case or you're hitting a performance wall and you have to figure out how to pull it apart. CI has everything a web application could need. For anything else, there's Composer.

The CI codebase is also lean which is another reason why it's easy to understand and follow while also allowing for the code to execute quickly. For reference, one of my full-featured, data-heavy CodeIgniter projects is currently supporting 2 million users and 200 million monthly page views (within the top 5000 on Alexa) with a sub-50ms server response time. CI is a more than capable framework in terms of speed, features, and reliability. I personally hope that CI 4 maintains that leanness. If it follows the crowd, then what would be the difference in using one over the other?

(06-28-2017, 07:47 PM)Nichiren Wrote: For reference, one of my full-featured, data-heavy CodeIgniter projects is currently supporting 2 million users and 200 million monthly page views (within the top 5000 on Alexa) with a sub-50ms server response time.

Now that is a fabulous recommendation. What an amazing success story for CI. I would love to see an article showcasing some of these biggest CI driven sites. That is an impressive collection of stats. 2 million users is just massive....

Congratulations.

Enviously yours,

Paul.

In my college two groups were separated. One that used codeigntier and another that used laravel.

We debate about the pros and cons of each framework simply and clearly.

The codeigniter group (I was included) talked about simplicity, to always be sure that the framework will work regardless of where the application will be.

We also mention the learning time to have some knowledge of the framework to develop that is very low and very simple with extensive documentation.

Laravel's group talked about having all the tools available without having to search and implement, despite the larger learning curve, also having extensive documentation.

At the end of the discussion and project we both made great applications.

I believe that hatred over codeigniter may have been generated in this transition, where the framework was abandoned.

I believe that with the work that is being developed, with the help of the community and with the support of all the developers for a framework, simple, fast and effective we can make this hate forgotten.

I also found together with my research something very constructive about Laravel vs CI:

I apologize it's in Portuguese but it exemplifies well where I want to go.

Http://dev.rbtech.info/codeigniter-vs-laravel-melhor/

When we made our comparisons, I used the same site to complement the discussion.

At the end of all accounts we need to deliver effective and fast applications. No matter the framework used. And yes each developer knows what is advantage and / or disadvantage in each framework for use in your application because in the end we deliver results.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB