Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
few libraries

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017, 02:13 PM by pwapp.)

hello everybody
as all of you know, one of the most important reasons that we use frameworks is simple and fast web app development 
and the framework must have the all needed classes
I think the only class that every web app needs is user management class
registering
logging in 
logging out
assigning to a group
etc.
but Codeigniter doesn't have this class
of course I searched and found "Ion auth" 
but my question is why codeigniter doesn't put such this important and useful library in its core library ?
it was an example
there are many other examples like "REST API" library
regards

I addressed a very similar question in another thread a day or two ago ... there are too many divergent & conflicting ideas on what a minimal/appropriate "auth" package should have. The community cannot agree, so we have left the choice up to developers.

There are some several "auth" packages mentioned on the forum, including "Community Auth". That could be a good starting point.

(11-07-2017, 07:54 AM)ciadmin Wrote: I addressed a very similar question in another thread a day or two ago ... there are too many divergent & conflicting ideas on what a minimal/appropriate "auth" package should have. The community cannot agree, so we have left the choice up to developers.

There are some several "auth" packages mentioned on the forum, including "Community Auth". That could be a good starting point.

thanks for your answer but in this way, I think there must be no helper and class in core library because each developer has a different idea
everybody that wants to choose a framework, searches for framework comparison tables and he sees that for example CI doesn't have auth library or REST library etc.
so he doesn't choose CI
I suggest that put a survey between developers and put useful classes in the core library
during the time, by getting feedbacks from developers, you can improve it to fit the developers needs
thanks again

(11-07-2017, 04:58 AM)pwapp Wrote: and the framework must have the all needed classes

No it shouldn't and no framework possibly could.

(11-07-2017, 02:50 PM)pwapp Wrote: thanks for your answer but in this way, I think there must be no helper and class in core library because each developer has a different idea
everybody that wants to choose a framework, searches for framework comparison tables and he sees that for example CI doesn't have auth library or REST library etc.

No, you choose a framework to set you up with a basic structure. It may come with some generic libraries that you are likely to need, but for everything else - there are thousands of libraries for all kinds of stuff that aren't tied to a specific framework

(11-07-2017, 02:50 PM)pwapp Wrote: I suggest that put a survey between developers and put useful classes in the core library
during the time, by getting feedbacks from developers, you can improve it to fit the developers needs

You might as well suggest a global referendum to give every world citizen a $100k/year basic income. Things don't happen just because we want them.

What do you want?

Admin Auth?
User Auth?
Membership Auth?
Social Media Auth?

As you can see there are just to many parameters to include an Auth System into the Framework...
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(11-08-2017, 03:24 AM)Narf Wrote: You might as well suggest a global referendum to give every world citizen a $100k/year basic income. Things don't happen just because we want them.

Lol. Great comment.

(11-08-2017, 06:21 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: What do you want?

Admin Auth?
User Auth?
Membership Auth?
Social Media Auth?

As you can see there are just to many parameters to include an Auth System into the Framework...

I think all of these are needed and must be in the core library
I'm so shocked by some answers   Confused
think about database
definitely it's more complex than for example authentication
how to connect
how to run queries
security
and many more specifications that must be considered
but CI handled it and has a complete library for it
my question is that whats the difference between "database" and "authentication" in this case???!!!

(11-08-2017, 05:12 PM)pwapp Wrote:

Admin Auth?
User Auth?
Membership Auth?
Social Media Auth?

think about database
how to connect
how to run queries
security
my question is that whats the difference between "database" and "authentication" in this case???!!!

That all databases use a standardized language called SQL.

(11-09-2017, 03:54 AM)Narf Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 05:12 PM)pwapp Wrote:

Admin Auth?
User Auth?
Membership Auth?
Social Media Auth?

think about database
how to connect
how to run queries
security

That all databases use a standardized language called SQL.

suppose that we want :
SELECT * FROM table
in CI we can write :
$this->db->get('table')
but maybe some developers prefer :
$this->db->fetch('table')
how developers agreed on "get" and not "fetch"
but they can't agree on a standardized "auth" library ?

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 10:04 AM by PaulD.)

(11-09-2017, 09:27 AM)pwapp Wrote: suppose that we want :
SELECT * FROM table
in CI we can write :
$this->db->get('table')
but maybe some developers prefer :
$this->db->fetch('table')
how developers agreed on "get" and not "fetch"
but they can't agree on a standardized "auth" library ?

Well, if you do not mind me saying, your analogy is a bit silly. One is purely a syntax, the other is a complete methodology and approach to authorisation and authentication. To equate the two is to say that since two people agree the sky is 'blue' then they should also agree on where to go on holiday. One is a syntax for the colour we perceive when we look at the sky, the other is based on many human factors like interests, budget, desires and experiences.

Your auth system might require an email address, mine might not. Yours might require a user name, mine might not. Yours might give access to financial information, mine might simply be to post a comment. Yours might need admin permissions, mine might not. Yours might need access level permissions, groups or monthly payments, mine might not. Yours might need API access and secret keys, mine might not.

To build any complex system like an 'authorisation' library requires decisions to be made about how the system will function. Any decision like that is arbitrary, in that I might not agree with you.

CI gives you the tools to build any auth system you choose, or use any that has been released for CI by generous coders.

In fairness I used to agree CI needed an auth system, but the issues having been explained many times on here, persuaded me that it would be an error to include one. If you had a house building toolkit you would not expect it to include a boiler. The boiler you build into your house is up to you.

Earlier you said
Quote:everybody that wants to choose a framework, searches for framework comparison tables and he sees that for example CI doesn't have auth library or REST library etc.
so he doesn't choose CI

Can you not see this is full of assumptions on your part that are simply not true. I have never chosen a framework based on comparison tables. I have never chosen a framework based on if it had a REST library. I have never chosen a framework for an auth library. So what you meant to say is 'some people' and not 'everybody'. And yes, some people choose a framework like wordpress. Good for them, but not for me. Some people choose a CMS rather than a framework, again good for them, but almost never for me. I could equally say that 'everybody chooses a framework based on what CNET reviews say'. I would be as wrong as you are if I did.

If having an out of the box solution for authorisation and authentication is really crucial to you, and reading about, selecting and installing any of the excellent auth libraries for CI is too much trouble, then perhaps it is true that CI is not for you. No single framework can ever accommodate every coders needs and requirements. This does not mean CI is worse than whatever alternative you choose, just that CI was not right for you with this particular set of requirements you had at this particular time.

Paul.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB