Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Compile LESS or SASS with Codeigniter 3

I want to use LESS instead of plain CSS in a Codeigniter 3 blog. Does Codeigniter have or support a LESS compiler? Alternatively, can I use SASS? How?

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018, 05:03 AM by InsiteFX. Edit Reason: Updated )

LESS and SASS ( SCSS ) Editors compiles the code into CSS code.

I am on Windows 10 Pro and I use this Editor for compiling all types.

Crunch 2 - Free and Paid

Looks like it is FREE now!

Works with these - osx - 10.7 | Windows | Linux 32 | Linux 64
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

You can also use node.js along with either grunt or gulp (and other tools) to define tasks that (potentially automatically) compile, concat, minimize and deploy less or sass that you edit with your favorite tool.

(02-10-2018, 09:07 AM)dave friend Wrote: You can also use node.js along with either grunt or gulp (and other tools) to define tasks that (potentially automatically) compile, concat, minimize and deploy less or sass that you edit with your favorite tool.

Just my opinion, but if you're a serious web developer and you haven't installed node.js at some point ... then you're missing out big time.

- Gulp
- Grunt
- Sass
- Uglify
- React
- Socket.io
- Express
- Webpack
- So much more!

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018, 09:23 PM by dave friend.)

(02-10-2018, 03:41 AM)Ajax30 Wrote: I want to use LESS instead of plain CSS in a Codeigniter 3 blog. Does Codeigniter have or support a LESS compiler? Alternatively, can I use SASS? How?

We all got real excited but failed to point out that using LESS and/or SASS has nothing to do with CodeIgniter. Both LESS & SASS are tools to help write CSS. Ultimately, plain old CSS files are created and put on the server. And no, they are not included with CI. But they are easily found and downloaded.

The real question is, does your IDE (or whatever you use to write code) support the desired tools? The IDE is the connection between the files you write (PHP, SASS, etc) and the build tools (compilers, etc). All the decent IDEs integrate this stuff pretty easy. That said, you'll probably spend a good bit of command line time getting the base level stuff that the IDE hooks into installed and running.

You can actually write LESS, SASS and plain CSS on the same project using the tools mentioned earlier.

How? Get out your Google and start finding tutorials.

Wait, wait. I forgot what had me so excited. I'd like to add my favorite item to skunkbad's list -- autoprefixer. It parses CSS and adds vendor prefixes to rules according to "Can I Use". It's a beautiful thing.

If you are looking some compiler within a CI ENV then CI doesn't have. You can use many third-party tools to compile your less and saas files.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB