Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Advice CI 3.x or 4.x
Question 

Hi,

I'm about to start on a rather large project in php since i've been happily using CI for a few years now i'm going to build the project in CI.
I've noticed that CI 4 alpha 4 has just released. Since my project is due early - mid 2019 i was wondering if you would recommend starting CI4 or build the project in CI 3.1.x?

You've probably gotten this question before, but i'm looking for some advice. 

Sorry for forum spam.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Bart Mommens

@bartMommens,

That's a tough one to answer. I think if you are looking long term then I would go with CI4. If you are thinking short term then go with CI3 with the understanding that eventually you will have to refactor it with CI4.

@php_rocs

Yeah it's a tuffy indeed, the project has to be ready by end of March but it will continue to grow and expand over the years (start up)... So i'm in a pickle right now since CI4 is something completely new but it's only in Alpha state and For an application with a few thousands of requests a day it might be unstable Smile

I already have a simple version of the app running under CI 3.x but it has reached a point that a refactor is needed. :/

The struggles of developers Big Grin

@bartMommens,

Is it possible to release the first version in CI3 then freeze it (only bug/security fixes) while you are working on the CI4 version with the idea of releasing it near the end of the year?

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 09:07 AM by NiteRaven.)

I'm working on a large enterprise project that is due to be launched early next year. I started with CI4 Alpha.2 and while there have been several bugs discovered, I have found the framework to be overall reliable. If there was an issue or bug discovered, the CI team has been quick to address it and push a fix on github. The upgrades from each Alpha were a bit tedious but nothing too difficult. They publish a list of every file changed.

Once the project hits beta, which I expect soon, it will become feature complete. That means they will just be pushing bug fixes until RC and final. It will probably be easier to update as I expect most of the changes happening in the system folder.

I say go for CI4! It will be a bit more painful, but in the end there will be the benefits of working with a much more modern framework, not having to migrate later, and you will be helping test the framework! The more of us that jump on board the better the final product will be!

Good luck!
-Kyle

@php_rocs,

I think for this project i'm going to go with CI3, upgrade to CI4 @ the start of 2020. I still think it's gonna be less painful to migrate from CI3 -> CI4 than all those upgrades/updates in the Angular framework Tongue Big Grin

@NiteRaven,

For smaller projects i'm surely going to use CI4, to learn it and test it along the way Smile My biggest problem is time for the large project, i work full-time and during the night / weekends i have a startup where i code that big app so basically i'm taking the easy way out for now and face the pain in a few months / years (i'm a little sissy i know)

Thanks for the advice anyway!

(12-28-2018, 09:32 AM)bartMommens Wrote: @php_rocs,

I think for this project i'm going to go with CI3, upgrade to CI4 @ the start of 2020. I still think it's gonna be less painful to migrate from CI3 -> CI4 than all those upgrades/updates in the Angular framework Tongue Big Grin

@NiteRaven,

For smaller projects i'm surely going to use CI4, to learn it and test it along the way Smile My biggest problem is time for the large project, i work full-time and during the night / weekends i have a startup where i code that big app so basically i'm taking the easy way out for now and face the pain in a few months / years (i'm a little sissy i know)

I had this dilemma, but it was a year ago so easier to justify going with CI3. It was a huge project which I've only just finished, so I won't be refactoring it in CI4 any time soon

(01-04-2019, 10:26 AM)CINewb Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 09:32 AM)bartMommens Wrote: @php_rocs,

@NiteRaven,

I had this dilemma, but it was a year ago so easier to justify going with CI3. It was a huge project which I've only just finished, so I won't be refactoring it in CI4 any time soon

Those dilemma's are the worst Dodgy  I'm gonna stick 2 CI3 for now since some of the components / libraries i'm going to use haven't started on refactoring to CI4 yet. And well Refactoring the project to CI4 is gonna be fun i guess Tongue

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB