Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Say No to Composer!

(06-06-2019, 08:34 AM)Paradinight Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:38 PM)angrymongol Wrote: composer is a disaster that i specifically stay away from. oh god the dependencies. F@CK composer

Why is it a disaster?

dependencies have dependencies and those dependencies have deprecated or old versions of other libraries. and god forbid you want to use multiple versions of the same library. and then when it fails, it tells me to install bunch of sub dependencies manually. I suppose if you need some library that generates a simple form for you then sure it is not complicated but using it on an enterprise level projects, no thanks

(06-06-2019, 08:38 AM)albertleao Wrote: So what's your alternative? Manage all the packages by hand?

What do you think people did before composer? Just not code? WHat kind of a question is that?

This is only my opinion, but I feel like if your project has so much external depencencies that it requires a tool to manage them, you have lost control over your code and it will be hard to maintain in the future. I find it funny that some people are anti-jquery because it's a "big" library to load but won't hesitate to download 30 libs with composer or npm.
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

I blame those code camp programmers that learn coding for a summer and start working on projects that are way over their heads. Specifically, React and Angular devs. Just a frankenstein mess. Don't get me wrong, I am no purist or anything but I think there is a point where something like composer is useful and a point where they are just feeding the laziness of devs who copy and paste example code in production. Sorry for the rant.

For me CI3 is very handy, works without any problem on any shared hosting, drag and drop and that's it, CI4 it seems to be more difficult with this, but I understand, that's the price new solutions.

CI 4 is no different you just have to use the new way of doing things.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

IMHO if Composer works first time great otherwise it is not straightforward to resolve the conflicts.

I prefer installing from a zip file, far easier to keep track, update, etc

(06-06-2019, 03:58 PM)InsiteFX Wrote: CI 4 is no different you just have to use the new way of doing things.

Maybe, I tried to install with this: https://codeigniter4.github.io/userguide..._apps.html
but probably something more to change in htaccess, to save time pick laravel/codeigniter 3, sorry.

(06-06-2019, 11:11 AM)angrymongol Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:38 PM)angrymongol Wrote: composer is a disaster that i specifically stay away from. oh god the dependencies. F@CK composer

Why is it a disaster?

dependencies have dependencies and those dependencies have deprecated or old versions of other libraries. and god forbid you want to use multiple versions of the same library. and then when it fails, it tells me to install bunch of sub dependencies manually. I suppose if you need some library that generates a simple form for you then sure it is not complicated but using it on an enterprise level projects, no thanks

(06-06-2019, 08:38 AM)albertleao Wrote: So what's your alternative? Manage all the packages by hand?

What do you think people did before composer? Just not code? WHat kind of a question is that?

I should create my own spreadsheet lib, pdf, mail or template engine? reinvent the wheel... . dependencies hell is not the fault of composer.

(06-07-2019, 08:29 AM)Paradinight Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 11:11 AM)angrymongol Wrote:

Why is it a disaster?

I should create my own spreadsheet lib, pdf, mail or template engine? reinvent the wheel... . dependencies  hell is not the fault of composer.

Think about what you just asked. Just because you shouldn't use a badly designed/used library manager doesn't mean you must write all of your libraries. What kind of a messed up logic is that?

Composer made the lives of unskilled coders a whole lot better because now they don't really have to know how to code. They just need to know how to put some libraries together. But for everyone else, it is a constant headache and a waste of time. You would spend less time downloading a library and putting a single line of include code in your project and viola! you are done. That library will stay exactly as is until you replace it with something. With composer, you cant even rely on it to install the same thing on 2 separate computers exactly the same. Adding a developer to an existing project and having them download the dependencies is such a waste of time because it never works the first time. NEVER

https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=composer

Almost 50k questions. That is way too many questions for a supposedly simple and easy to use dependency manager.

I always liked CI specifically because it worked straight out of the box. There is nothing you need to start working other than that tiny little zip file. That is why I liked kohana too. It had some cool features. Laravel, Symfony, Zend, Cake, etc. Those things require so much unneeded crap just to get the thing running bare. Composer is one of them. So much extra crap you don't need in a production environment either. Docs, examples, other unnecessary files, etc. Let's not kid ourselves. You know over half of the files in node_modules could be deleted and would affect nothing other than disk space.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB