Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why is Code Igniter not recommended?

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 04:47 AM by ciadmin.)

I have been checking out Code Igniter recently and it seems incredibly easy to get an idea going very quickly with little work.
I have primarily been learning Symfony and haven't looked at Code Igniter mainly because there seemed to be a mass consensus that something like Laravel/Symfony etc would be better but I decided to checkout it again and was pleased with the experience. Its simplicity is a real plus point for me.
What are the reasons that Code Igniter might not be recommended?

*SEO SPAM LINKS REDACTED*

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM by donpwinston. Edit Reason: wording )

CI3 is a bit old. It doesn't use "modern" PHP like Laravel and Symphony do. CI4 addresses this. There is no real reason not to use CI.
Simpler is always better

I've been developing sites in CodeIgniter since v2.x, and you're right that it's very quick to deploy and easy to work with. It's reliable and performant and makes my servers happy, so it definitely gets my recommendation.

The framework changed a little in v3.x, but much of it has remained the same for a decade+ for a number of reasons. Just my $0.02 ... I think that caused some developers to look at Laravel and Symfony and FatFree as alternatives. Those seemed for several years to have more active development communities and the backing of some larger open source projects (Drupal 8 is built on Symfony, for example).

While CI was largely unchanged, those other frameworks added features like autoloaders, template engines, SASS/LESS compiling, database migrations, debug tracing, etc.

It's good to see that many of these features are being addressed in CodeIgniter v4.x. CI4 is going to work a bit differently than older versions and us developers are going to have to learn/unlearn/relearn how some things are done, but it should put CodeIgniter on a very solid footing for the future.

I think CI is more toolkit than framework, speeds up page building, not require a lot of time, works on shared hosting.
Laravel, Symfony sometimes is overbloated (but it's good frameworks too).

Very big shortcoming laravel it don't have autorouting though there are in it resource routes but it insufficiently and very inconveniently, in a CI all this is. I use CI and Laravel for my projects, some of them rather big.

Symfony is a great framework. It is actually just a group of components so you can very easily just pick and choose what you want. It is also the fastest framework out there. The learning curve is larger, but they use the latest and best practices.

Laravel is a lot more opinionated, you really have to do it the "Laravel way". They have A LOT baked in so things like auth, messaging, queues and are ready for you to go.

CI 3.0 is dated. I would not recommend using it for new projects.

CI 4.0 is a GIANT step in the right direction. It follows newer and better practices. It doesn't have a lot baked in which gives you the flexibility to build things the way you want. I'd just study up on the 3 frameworks and see which one fits your project best.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

I use CI and have for years, it just makes sense.

It isn't flashy/new/etc, but so what, it work and works very well. I've built plenty of sites on it, I've had two enterprise level clients use it and now my current employer.

One of my clients uses it on a multi million dollar ecommerce platform and content delivery platform, handling tens of thousands of users (they have a lot of iron).

My current employer uses it on a SaaS platform with over 1500 concurrent apps running every day, all day (POS software) with thousands of concurrent users every single hour. (distributed AWS server platform) - we cover hundreds of millions of dollars in business for our clients.

All on CodeIgniter.

So they can say whatever they want. CI just works.

(08-09-2019, 06:16 AM)Kaosweaver Wrote: All on CodeIgniter.

That's impressive, could you show us these applications?

(08-09-2019, 10:40 AM)website Wrote:

starcitygames.com (I did these parts)
gingrapp.com
These stats haven't been updated recently:
3.86 Million
Happy Pets Served

31.79 Million
Reservations Booked

2.99 Million
Total Users

11.28 Million
Report Cards Sent

(08-18-2019, 01:10 PM)Kaosweaver Wrote:
(08-09-2019, 10:40 AM)website Wrote:

starcitygames.com
gingrapp.com
Really cool, fast and simple (and cloudflare optimizes traffic and protects against DDos attacks) I would add a little better mobile version to starcitygames.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB