Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Updating my Codeigniter to the latest version with gaps in between
Question 

My CI_Version is 3.1.5

It was downloaded last year and i worked a little bit on my project and stopped.

I'm starting it again this year and since i already updated my Bootstrap version on it. I might aswell update my Codeigniter version too. 

Anyways, current latest version of CI is 3.1.11 and i also visited the page on how to update CI version from previous versions but the example gave a version that was 'the previous version(3.1.10)' in my case, my current version(should be 5 versions in between if i'm to go by the version number) isn't the 'previous version' of the latest version.  

https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta..._3111.html

The only 3rd party libraries i used in my project are bootstrap and datatables. So it shouldn't be a hassle to upgrade.

Would it suffice for me to just copy over my controller/model/view and asset folder files to the current downloaded latest version of CI i have(3.1.11) and just update config/autoload/database files in config? 

Or can i follow the guide given by the link above and copy the files from 3.1.11 to my version 3.1.5? will it give me problems/errors?

A quick question: it says on the release topic of 3.1.11 that it has a new library called log library, can someone explain it's use exactly? can i use it to basically store logs(Action/history) for use in a notification/recommendation system?

You should be able to replace the system directory in your current setup with the 3.1.11 version.

Then go to this page and hit the "Next" button until you get back to the version you are replacing. (Yes, the Next button. I guess they mean the next oldest.)

You've already done Step 1 of all of these. Just do the other tasks on your way back to the latest.

Some only have a Step 1. You'll see the instruction: Step 2: Replace config/mimes.php on the Upgrading from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 page. You can ignore that one because 3.1.11 also has a new mime.php file.

All told, there are only two or three "other" things to do between 3.1.3 and 3.1.11.

You will also need to copy the ./application/config/config.php there was a CSRF change.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(10-16-2019, 03:31 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: You will also need to copy the ./application/config/config.php there was a CSRF change.

Between versions 3.1.5 and 3.1.11?

What was that? When?

Sorry about that got it mixed up with CodeIgniter 4.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019, 06:52 AM by dweenator.)

(10-15-2019, 04:44 PM)dave friend Wrote: You should be able to replace the system directory in your current setup with the 3.1.11 version.

Then go to this page and hit the "Next" button until you get back to the version you are replacing. (Yes, the Next button. I guess they mean the next oldest.)

You've already done Step 1 of all of these. Just do the other tasks on your way back to the latest.

Some only have a Step 1. You'll see the instruction: Step 2: Replace config/mimes.php on the Upgrading from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 page. You can ignore that one because 3.1.11 also has a new mime.php file.

All told, there are only two or three "other" things to do between 3.1.3 and 3.1.11.

There shouldn't be a problem for me if i were to just directly upgrade from 3.1.5 to 3.1.11 right? since files gets updated per successive version so it doesn't really matter if i were to just directly jump to the latest version than to go from 3.1.5 to 3.1.6 until 3.1.11?

Or is it safer/faster for me to just transfer all my files(controller/models/views/assets(js,css,images) from my 3.1.5 version to a newly downloaded 3.1.11 codeigniter version. As i have stated, i dont really have any third party libraries or helpers i used nor have i done any changes to the system files of codeigniter.

P.S. i just noticed that i didn't ask this question within the appropriate sub-forum category. My bad, apologies.

(10-17-2019, 06:49 AM)dweenator Wrote: Or is it safer/faster for me to just transfer all my files(controller/models/views/assets(js,css,images) from my 3.1.5 version to a newly downloaded 3.1.11 codeigniter version. As i have stated, i dont really have any third party libraries or helpers i used nor have i done any changes to the system files of codeigniter.
I think moving your files to 3.1.11 would be easier in your case.

You can update directly with latest 3.1.11 files. Just follow all Upgrading from X to Y steps.

As always, always make a backup before upgrading.

(10-17-2019, 06:49 AM)dweenator Wrote: There shouldn't be a problem for me if i were to just directly upgrade from 3.1.5 to 3.1.11 right? since files gets updated per successive version so it doesn't really matter if i were to just directly jump to the latest version than to go from 3.1.5 to 3.1.6 until 3.1.11?

Or is it safer/faster for me to just transfer all my files(controller/models/views/assets(js,css,images) from my 3.1.5 version to a newly downloaded 3.1.11 codeigniter version. As i have stated, i dont really have any third party libraries or helpers i used nor have i done any changes to the system files of codeigniter.

Not a problem to go directly from 3.1.5 to 3.1.11 by replacing only the system directory in your 3.1.5 site with the system directory from 3.1.11. But, make a backup first!

After that do the things at these links

Step 2: Remove usage of the APC Cache driver (deprecation)

Step 2: Remove usage of CAPTCHA helper extra parameters (deprecation)

Step 2: Check for calls to is_countable()

Step 2: Replace config/mimes.php

Done!

In my opinion, this is the easiest, fastest, and least error-prone way to go.

(10-17-2019, 01:20 PM)dave friend Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 06:49 AM)dweenator Wrote: There shouldn't be a problem for me if i were to just directly upgrade from 3.1.5 to 3.1.11 right? since files gets updated per successive version so it doesn't really matter if i were to just directly jump to the latest version than to go from 3.1.5 to 3.1.6 until 3.1.11?

Not a problem to go directly from 3.1.5 to 3.1.11 by replacing only the system directory in your 3.1.5 site with the system directory from 3.1.11. But, make a backup first!

After that do the things at these links

Step 2: Remove usage of the APC Cache driver (deprecation)

Step 2: Remove usage of CAPTCHA helper extra parameters (deprecation)

Step 2: Check for calls to is_countable()

Step 2: Replace config/mimes.php

Done!

In my opinion, this is the easiest, fastest, and least error-prone way to go.

I think i'll follow your guide. Since its less hassle. 

From the following steps you mentioned, it only says usage. I don't have to manually delete .php files in the library folder pertaining to the file deprecated?

Suffice to say i haven't used both of those libraries. I also haven't used the inflector helper(is_countable() function) so i'm good on all those 3 steps. 

So the only things i should do is to replace my system folder and config/mimes.php file with a newly downloaded 3.1.11 systems folder and the mimes.php file.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB