CodeIgniter Forums
DataMapper 1.6.0 - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Libraries & Helpers (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: DataMapper 1.6.0 (/showthread.php?tid=11358)

DataMapper 1.6.0 - El Forum - 10-12-2008

[eluser]Maxximus[/eluser]
Good work, hope you have a nice holiday!

One thing about performance:

Unfortunately doing a $Obj->get() seems to call the construct for each record again (_to_object does new $model).

Because of this it calls _assign_libraries() every record again. This was also true for the 'old' Module version by the way.

This adds up pretty much for more than 20 records. Currently I see two options to kill this CPU and memory hog: Perhaps its not needed to call new Model() every time, and/or replace _assign_libraries() with only the needed ones (DB and config).

Suggested new _assign_libraries():
Code:
function _assign_libraries()

{

$CI =& get_instance();

$this->config = $CI->config;

$this->db = $CI->db;
}
Its probably always possible to add additional needed libs in the model itself.

*UPDATE*
This might do the trick in _to_object:
Code:
if (get_class($item))
            {
                $item = clone $item;
            }
            else
            {
                $item = new $model;
            }

[eluser]stensi[/eluser]
@siric: You can still do what you're wanting with the current version, but it means having your tables setup differently, most likely with another normal table (such as orders) and joining table. There's a number of ways you could do it actually, depending on your preference, but yes, it will mean having more tables.

I originally never planned on adding other fields into the joining tables since those were meant to hold only the relationship data and nothing more. For situations like the one you mentioned, and the one Phil (OverZealous) mentioned a few pages back, being able to have extra fields in the joining tables would indeed be handy. I'm just not sure how easy it will be, if at all possible, to implement with the same usage as is currently used to access related data. I mean, when doing this:

Code:
// Get the related items
$user->item->where('amount', '100')->get();

If we were to allow fields on the joining table as well, from the above code it would be very difficult to distinguish whether the developer is wanting to access the "amount" field in the items_users joining table, or in the items table. And what happens if they have multiple where clauses, ones where they're doing a mix of having where clauses for fields on the joining table as well as the related table:

Code:
$user->item->where('amount', '100')->where('name', 'hammer')->get();

I think that would be a nightmare for me to cater to, lol. If I add in the ability to have other fields on relationship tables, the usage would have to be different for those fields. Maybe this?

Code:
$user->item->join_where('amount', '100')->where('name', 'hammer')->get();

How's that sound? Hmm, how to save and update that data though... That's going to be difficult. I can see myself getting headaches from this one, lol Wink

@commandercool: Ah, nice find. I hadn't noticed that. I've made a change that will solve this issue. If a field is not required, it will only have its validation rules applied if it has a value. That one's a quick fix so I've got it in the next version.

@Maxximus: Thanks :-) and good point. I'll run some tests to see which approach saves the most CPU time/Memory and let you know my findings.

[eluser]OverZealous[/eluser]
Regarding the joining table values:

I think it might make sense to set one limitation, which then makes it a lot easier. Declare that a joining field cannot have a field with the same name as the fields in either of the tables it joins.

When a related model is set up, all of the extra fields in the joint table are added to a second fields array (if necessary), that I'll call joint_fields.

This way, when the join is queried, joint fields can be added automatically to the child models (meaning, in the example above, you could access the joint fields either through $user->book->amount or through $book->user->amount (or ->all[$index]->amount). Joint fields could be added in the select statement. The developer could set the joint field in the exact same manner.

Then, when performing updates, the joint fields could be checked during _related saves, and saved into the appropriate table.

To handle the ->where(), the field is checked to see if it exists in the fields[] or joint_fields[] array, and set accordingly. Although, I actually like the join_where better than this, especially as far as work for stensi goes ;-P.

Also, @ stensi, I like most of the updates (I haven't had time to integrate them) but one problem still exists (I'm sorry!). Since the inserts still send empty fields, there is still no way (at least on PostGreSQL) to have a default, unset value. PG simply sees the field as '', which errors on most field types, and ignores default field types. And since the _clear() method is called on creation of the model, any defaults set in the model are wiped out.

(Example of where this is important: I often include a field called hidden, which is used to allow the user to hide a row without deleting it. Since you never create a non-hidden value, I simply set the default to FALSE in the DB, and ignore it during inserts.)

To me, it still makes sense to filter the insert values.

- Phil DeJarnett

[eluser]stensi[/eluser]
I'll have a more indepth look at how I'll implement the fields within joining tables when I get back from Japan. My only concern is that I probably will have to do a list_fields() of the joining tables, which isn't very good for performance. Also, to enforce the rule that a joining table cannot have the same fields as either of the tables it's joining, will require a list_fields() call of all three tables Undecided

With your insert issue, will unsetting the properties during _clear(), then only including those that are set in the insert query solve this issue for you? The thing is, I still need to insert a value if it is NULL, 0 (zero), or an empty string, since those are valid Database values. I know I'll want to be inserting with those.

I guess it'll depend on whether PHP considers an unset properties value to be different to a property set to NULL. If it does, then the above changes should be do-able.

Yes, unsetting during clear and only including those that are set is perfect. I think I wrote something in similar to that on an earlier post.

An unset() property (tested with isset()) is different that empty(). isset() only returns false for values that are not there, whereas it will return true for NULL, 0, etc. It's in the PHP isset documentation.

If you did that, my problems would be all gone. :-)

[eluser]stensi[/eluser]
Hmm, that's not true according the the PHP documentation: isset()

It say's isset() will return FALSE if the variable is set to NULL so that wont work. I still want NULL's included. I could try this:

Code:
// Only include if field isset or is null
if (isset($this->{$field}) OR is_null($this->{$field}))
{
    // include in $data
}

But that will depend on whether is_null returns TRUE only for NULL fields. If it considers unset fields to be NULL as well, then that wont work either as it'll be the same situation. I'll test is_null to find out.

UPDATE

Nope, that's not going to work either :down:

Although... if a Database field accepts NULL but no value is supplied to it, it will default to NULL, right? Likewise, a varchar field with no characters supplied will default to an empty string. If this is right, then I can go ahead and only include fields that pass the isset() check. Your thoughts?

I apologize - I've been wrong about that for some time :red: !

Why doesn't that work?

Also, you probably need to be able to set a field to NULL on purpose. Meaning, I need to be able to NULL out a value, if it was previously set to a value. In that case, isset() on its own will not work.

Update: Duh, now I see why. Hmm... Must think this through.

Update 2: I guess you could re-look at my above suggestion to keep track of changes from within __set(). It would handle changes made for both updates and inserts.

[eluser]stensi[/eluser]
There's no issue with an UPDATE query, since if you set the value to NULL and it's not NULL in the Database, it will recognise that you're changing this value and will include it in the UPDATE query.

INSERT is a little different though since it has nothing to compare against like UPDATE does, so yes, it's a lot trickier. Still, I think I can leave NULL or empty string values out of the $data array since those should default to NULL or empty string when inserting without them.

Ah, I see now, you're right. There's no reason to insert a NULL ever, but NULL updates are fine, etc, etc. I need to not read so late at night :cheese: .

Yes, then, I would go with the isset() check for inserts (which also should dump your [id] automatically), and update _clear() to default the values to NULL. This should fix everything that can be fixed with PGSQL, and reduce DB overhead a tiny bit.

Thank you for your attentiveness on this! I have an important, really big project that I'm starting, and DM is going to dramatically reduce my development time!! I can't thank you enough for your time and development effort. If I weren't poor as <expletive>, I'd send you money :-P .

[eluser]stensi[/eluser]
No problem :lol:

I've got a lot of upcoming projects as well that will be using DataMapper, which is why I'm happy to put in time to improve it as much as possible, before I start on them. I'm very thankful for people like yourself who take the time to suggest and help work through the problems, so thank you as well :-)