CodeIgniter Forums
payment module using paypal - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: payment module using paypal (/showthread.php?tid=13308)

Pages: 1 2

payment module using paypal - El Forum - 11-18-2008

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:Problem i’m having now is as paypal has switched up their button code (hosted, encrypted) they’re having issues with that custom field being sent back with the IPN values.

I had that same damn problem. And sometimes the IPN never even happened. No one at PayPal could tell me why it was so sporadic. I had good luck with PayPal in previous years, but they seem to be going downhill with their service.

[eluser]ray73864[/eluser]
paypal is an excellent option for receiving payments, they take very low commission fees and are easy to set up, i have looked at google checkout but the API was very complicated to work with.

on that note, between steps 2 and 3 you should store the order details in the database, i would set the status to something like 'un-processed', then when the IPN is received from paypal change the status to 'processing' (note that a success from paypal IPN does not mean that payment has been received, it is just an "intent" to pay), then you have a seperate process where you check your bank account (or paypal account) and if the payment has been received then change the status to 'processed'.

[eluser]internut[/eluser]
[quote author="ray73864" date="1227076581"]paypal is an excellent option for receiving payments, they take very low commission fees and are easy to set up, i have looked at google checkout but the API was very complicated to work with.

on that note, between steps 2 and 3 you should store the order details in the database, i would set the status to something like 'un-processed', then when the IPN is received from paypal change the status to 'processing' (note that a success from paypal IPN does not mean that payment has been received, it is just an "intent" to pay), then you have a seperate process where you check your bank account (or paypal account) and if the payment has been received then change the status to 'processed'.[/quote]

I've never had an issue in 5+ years of a payment complete value from IPN and the funds were not there.

Question is as my friend 2 posts earlier the custom fields are getting messed with now. One of the most important parts if linking a transaction to a record in your database.

[eluser]internut[/eluser]
[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1227076503"]
Quote:Problem i’m having now is as paypal has switched up their button code (hosted, encrypted) they’re having issues with that custom field being sent back with the IPN values.

I had that same damn problem. And sometimes the IPN never even happened. No one at PayPal could tell me why it was so sporadic. I had good luck with PayPal in previous years, but they seem to be going downhill with their service.[/quote]

PayPal in general is doing pretty good. It just seems they rolled this new button stuff out without worrying about how people use the IPN and "REALLY NEED" the custom value to come back to them.

They're making a normal transaction easier, and security wise better. They forgot about the IPN people which need important data back.

I still like paypal and they will probably get it right... I really want to link up with 2checkout and others. Some do not give out test accounts so I struggle where to start to link up with them.

payment module using paypal - El Forum - 11-19-2008

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
Oh yeah, paypal's service is great and everything and to be fair i never had a problem with IPN or anything at all.....until....someone bought something and then decided they wanted their money back and to keep the product too. As it was a digital product there was literally nothing i could to persuade paypal that this person had never e-mailed me with a complaint or problem, they had simply gone straight to paypal and requested their money back. Lo and behold paypal paid it back and no amount of invoices or anything from me would persuade them otherwise.

So yes, paypal is a good easy service, but you just wait until you have a problem like mine, they couldn't give 2 hoots about the seller.

payment module using paypal - El Forum - 11-19-2008

[eluser]dpgtfc[/eluser]
Anybody use the google checkout API as well as paypal?

payment module using paypal - El Forum - 12-01-2008

[eluser]johniscool[/eluser]
[quote author="audiopleb" date="1227136255"]Oh yeah, paypal's service is great and everything and to be fair i never had a problem with IPN or anything at all.....until....someone bought something and then decided they wanted their money back and to keep the product too. As it was a digital product there was literally nothing i could to persuade paypal that this person had never e-mailed me with a complaint or problem, they had simply gone straight to paypal and requested their money back. Lo and behold paypal paid it back and no amount of invoices or anything from me would persuade them otherwise.

So yes, paypal is a good easy service, but you just wait until you have a problem like mine, they couldn't give 2 hoots about the seller.[/quote]

This can be true with any credit card service. It's called a charge back, and there is nothing you as a seller can do about it, except maybe pursue the individual responsible. It's part of doing business online, crappy as it is, PayPal should allow a zero refund without seller consent option for digital goods, or zero refund after shipping without seller consent.