CodeIgniter Forums
Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object (/showthread.php?tid=18374)

Pages: 1 2

Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object - El Forum - 05-04-2009

[eluser]philstan[/eluser]
I love Codeigniter...However, have wasted a couple of hours trying to find the solution to this problem.

I am getting this error on a view page:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_user_name() on a non-object

while running this in a view file (similar code has run successfully in a controller, however design needs mandate its use here in the view):

//Search for user_name
$this->load->model('Company_info');

$get_name = $row->author;

$this->Company_info->get_user_name($get_name);

I have tried loading the model with 'company_info', but still no success. The database is loaded automatically in the config file.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object - El Forum - 05-04-2009

[eluser]abmcr[/eluser]
[quote author="philstan" date="1241483152"]

//Search for user_name
$this->load->model('Company_info');

$get_name = $row->author;

[/quote]

Are you sure to use a
$query=$this->db->query("YOUR SQL");
$row=$query->row();

or you use a
$row=$query->row_array();
i.e. a row_array function?
What about the get_user_name function?

Thank you abmcr for your response.

I should have included this in my original post. This is the relevant code in the model:

function get_user_name($user_id)
{
$query = $this->db->query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_id = ".$user_id."");
$row = $query->row();
return $row->user_name;
}

This is not-functioning as it is here.

Thanks Philstan

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Ideally, you should always check for a result, and perhaps return FALSE if there isn't one.

Code:
function get_user_name($user_id)
{
    $query = $this->db->query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_id = ?", $user_id);
    if ($query->num_rows() > 0)
    {
        $row = $query->row();
        return $row->user_name;
    }
    return FALSE;
}

[eluser]Thorpe Obazee[/eluser]
Yeah, much better to that so that you can check the return value and probably do something.

Thank you all for the very useful replies, however they do not address my original post. My original problem is still that I'm getting this error message:

The function which calls the model is not being recognized, so no SQL is being processed at all. I don't understand why this is happening as I have used this code in another view with no problems.

[quote author="philstan" date="1241513715"]Thank you all for the very useful replies, however they do not address my original post. My original problem is still that I'm getting this error message:

The function which calls the model is not being recognized, so no SQL is being processed at all. I don't understand why this is happening as I have used this code in another view with no problems.[/quote]

Code:

Change that to:

Code:
$this->company_info->get_user_name($get_name);

Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object - El Forum - 05-05-2009

Please note in my original post that I have tried

However this did not and still does not work.

Thank you

Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object - El Forum - 05-05-2009

[quote author="philstan" date="1241586255"]Please note in my original post that I have tried

However this did not and still does not work.

Thank you[/quote]

I assumed that you didn't use it since I can't see it in the first post. Noted.

On which line did the error point?

[eluser]Gordaen[/eluser]
If you do print_r($this->Company_info); above your line that reads $this->Company_info->get_user_name($get_name);, what do you get?