CodeIgniter Forums
Codeigniter port of ROR Beast Forum - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Libraries & Helpers (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Codeigniter port of ROR Beast Forum (/showthread.php?tid=18427)

Pages: 1 2 3

Codeigniter port of ROR Beast Forum - El Forum - 05-06-2009

[eluser]lowstring[/eluser]
I was looking for a simple forum to use for an intranet forum I was working on, and always liked how Beast was setup. I didn't however have access to ROR on this particular server (and the intranet itself was built with Codeigniter) so I decided to try recreating Beast with PHP and Codeigniter.

Anyways I thought I would share what I have so far and see if anyone is interested using the code for one of their own projects.

For the most part, the forum is functional; however as you will see, there are some things that don't work yet.

I am by no means a PHP or Codeigniter expert, so this was partly an exercise in learning Codeigniter and just to see if I could do it. Feel free to use, tweak or tear apart the code as you want.

Check out a Demo

Download source code

Thanks for checking it out, and any feedback is welcome.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
It looks pretty nice
Fuzzy is going to love this, he's been looking for ideas for his own CI forum for a long time

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Aw, the search doesn't work yet. Sad

I was really interested to see how you'd implemented the search in your forum. Looks really good though. Thanks a million for sharing it with us! It's generosity like yours that makes this community so great.

Well I have learned a lot by reading through these forums, so it's only natural to offer this back to everyone who helped me (whether they know they helped me or not).

The search function is next on my list. Every post is contained in one db table so I don't think it should be too hard to implement (I hope). I have no way to see how the original ROR app really worked because I don't have a local install, but I have been checking out various installs on the web. I have never used ROR but it is surprisingly easy to read and figure out what is going on.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I'd recommend you look into using MySQL FULLTEXT searches for the best results and performance.

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
Snapped this up in an instant. Might use it and would be happy to pass back any modifications i make to it, add to it.

Just noticed one thing on your demo, after just signing up the page shows.

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/51d386d59f382baaad0cfb933ca8b6ea.jpg

thanks for the heads up. FYI..The activation email part doesn't work yet so if you're are looking for an email it won't ever come ;-)

This is just a demo forum, so I didn't really want to allow people to join. Plus for what I ended up using this for, I didn't really need activation, because it was a company intranet and I made accounts for all employees ahead of time.

I didn't expect the email to come actually, logged straight in after. Just thought i'd give you warning of that error on signup. I might try making an auth abstraction later/api for it at some point to allow integration.

I turned off error reporting and the error went away ;-)

And actually you just pointed out a bug to me. You shouldn't have been able to login because your account state is set to false. I updated the auth_class to fix this. Thanks