CodeIgniter Forums
Full UserGuide - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Full UserGuide (/showthread.php?tid=18428)

Pages: 1 2 3

Full UserGuide - El Forum - 05-06-2009

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
Quote: (maybe you don't have enough screen space to have the CI user guide, website, text editor/IDE, PHP manual and some other stuff?)

Bless my dual 24" monitors Smile

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
@jdf: I bet you have a single window maximised on each screen Tongue
That'd be almost as bad as a single screen (it's hard to imaging going back to just one screen... oh wait I do... work Sad)

[eluser]Gav[/eluser]
Haha. Hey, trust me, I don't know about you guys, but you obviously have far more time on your hands than I do. The only down time I get is when I'm using the er, convenience, in want of a politer word.

Lol, that aside, I agree, some of the lil bits will always need the latest versions, and when I'm actually hammering out the code I will be using the online version, but to get my head around the whole idea (newbie CI user here) it's sometimes just nicer to sit down, relax, and get away from a screen.

@Dam1an - dude convince your work to deploy dual screens, we used to be single monitors in here until I showed them the producity improvements, which I'm sure you can vouch for. I'm guessing it's not that simple.

[quote author="Dam1an" date="1241658063"]@jdf: I bet you have a single window maximised on each screen Tongue
That'd be almost as bad as a single screen (it's hard to imaging going back to just one screen... oh wait I do... work Sad)[/quote]

Windows 7 -> Winkey+Left, Winkey+right so it splits windows, not full screen. I used to the do the same for the right monitor as well when I was still using it for my windows box as well. Now I just use the left monitor for windows, and the right monitor is my mac mini. Using synergy to go back and forth so its just like having one machine, except I cant drag windows to the other monitor.

[quote author="Gav" date="1241658162"]Haha. Hey, trust me, I don't know about you guys, but you obviously have far more time on your hands than I do. The only down time I get is when I'm using the er, convenience, in want of a politer word.

Lol, that aside, I agree, some of the lil bits will always need the latest versions, and when I'm actually hammering out the code I will be using the online version, but to get my head around the whole idea (newbie CI user here) it's sometimes just nicer to sit down, relax, and get away from a screen.

@Dam1an - dude convince your work to deploy dual screens, we used to be single monitors in here until I showed them the producity improvements, which I'm sure you can vouch for. I'm guessing it's not that simple.[/quote]

Yes, productivity. I have dual monitors at work. Rss feeds on one, CI forums and email on the other Smile I'm very productive.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
If it was that simple to convince them to give everyone dual screens, I think I'd have them by now...
Reasons why I don't:
- I'm currently only an intern (year long placement ending in 2-3 months, and it taes 6+ months to get anything out of them)
- We have a budget freeze (damn recession)
- Its a huge company (IBM), if I got dual screens, every deveopler would want 2 screens
- I kind of have 2 already, laptop (email, IM, web) and desktop (dev, web)
- I only found out for myself the huge benefit of dual screens as I coped perfectly well with just my 15.4" laptop screen but now have that and a 23" (2048x1152) as well

[eluser]Gav[/eluser]
Damn corporates eh ;-) - indeed shows the recession is hitting everyone.

@jdfwarrior - you don't have HD films streaming on one? Missing a trick here! %-P

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Dam1an" date="1241655251"]
The online version is always up to date... so why go for anything less?[/quote]
As I said in my post, the pdf contains the documentation for the Cart Library, which is not in the online version. Since the Cart is in SVN this means that the online version is not 'up to date'. Wink

Someone should create a script the scraped the user guide and dynamically generates a pdf. That way just running a script would keep an up to date pdf available for people. Any takers on that project? Huh? Smile

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="jdfwarrior" date="1241676545"]Someone should create a script the scraped the user guide and dynamically generates a pdf. That way just running a script would keep an up to date pdf available for people. Any takers on that project? Huh? Smile[/quote]
Speaking of the devil: http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/69588/
If one of you has Adobe Acrobat Pro installed you could output the print to pdf. Guess that would do it.