CodeIgniter Forums
POLL: do you have PHP 4 or PHP 5 running and why - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: POLL: do you have PHP 4 or PHP 5 running and why (/showthread.php?tid=18748)

Pages: 1 2

POLL: do you have PHP 4 or PHP 5 running and why - El Forum - 05-16-2009

[eluser]CtheB[/eluser]
I know there is a lot of discussion about having the code php4 compatible because 50% of the servers are PHP4.
This topic is not about this discussion, however, I would like to know wich percentage of the codeigniter users are still having PHP4 servers and are not able to update to php5 in no circumstances.
Please reply to this topic so we know for wich percentage of the users, Ellislab is making codeigniter php4 compatible.

[eluser]CtheB[/eluser]
Server: PHP5
Writing code in: PHP5
FC/BC: FC (forward-compatible to PHP6)
WHY: Because if in the future we update to PHP6 we don't have to change a lot of our code.

My personal opinion is: Start making all code in codeigniter php6 compatible and drop php4.
Why update to php6 in the future: Because of the improvements and because of Unicode.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
PHP 5.2.9 Smile

When I first started using CI, I was stuck on PHP4 with no easy way to move up, but now enjoying all the perks of PHP5 Smile

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
I run PHP 5, but keep my code compatible with PHP 4 in most cases (not always, though). I'll probably continue to try make my code PHP 4 compatible until a stable version of PHP 6 is released. I guess for me, it's often a question of whether or not you need the power of PHP 5.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
If I was developing something for other users to put on their own servers, I'd try to maintain PHP4 compatility as well, but almost all of mine is stuff I code either just for myself, or run off my server, which has PHP5.

[eluser]CtheB[/eluser]
I think many people who have php5 server, code there own code in php4 compatible code, because they don't know better because so many tutorials and the userguide is in php4 compatible code.

And i think that's bad news for the following reasons:

- self documenting of php5 is better (readability of the code increases): knowing if a method or member is private / public / protected / static / final etc.
- Advantages of PHP5 over PHP4 with some magic methods and many more (see PHP 5.3)
- But most important: PHP6 has unicode and more advantages, and PHP6 is not compatible with PHP4

POLL: do you have PHP 4 or PHP 5 running and why - El Forum - 05-17-2009

[eluser]Thorpe Obazee[/eluser]
I run PHP 4 since my company 'needs' all applications built with PHP 4 compatibility. And I intend to run PHP 4 so that I don't have any mistakes writing PHP 5 only code when I need to do PHP 4 compatible code.

POLL: do you have PHP 4 or PHP 5 running and why - El Forum - 06-09-2009

[eluser]globule[/eluser]
PHP5 only !
This to encourage hosters to upgrade to PHP5. Serious hosters already did ! ;-)

As CtheB said, some usefull features have been introduced in 5.3, such as PDO, SPL... start working with them to be ready for PHP6!!! ;-P

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
PHP 5 only, it has been around since 2004 so I'd say it's time to upgrade Smile

[eluser]joneslee[/eluser]
My company server has hosted many websites that are written with PHP4, even though I really really want to ditch PHP4 to PHP5 but time and money won't let me easily doing so.