CodeIgniter Forums
What are the best practices for loading a "library" without creating an object ("include?") - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: What are the best practices for loading a "library" without creating an object ("include?") (/showthread.php?tid=21824)

What are the best practices for loading a "library" without creating an object ("include?") - El Forum - 08-21-2009

[eluser]kirkryyn[/eluser]
While I appreciate the extra work CI goes through in order to attach a new instance of a library to the $CI object, sometimes I'd like to just create a one-time use instance or sometimes I may need several unique instances of the same class.

Is there a "lite" equivalent of load->library() that more or less acts just like include()? Or something that works like load->library() that returns an instance instead of attaching it to the $CI object?

I saw this thread which sounds sorta useful, except that it wastes and instance and pollutes my $CI object if I don't really want to put it there.

Are there some good ways to use require_once? Special path stuff I should take into consideration?

I'm pretty new to CI. All in all, I'm liking it so far. I had been afraid this was going to be another CakePHP experience....

The only thing I am not super excited about is having to think about everything being in the context of living in the $CI object. I'll do my best to play along with that philosophy, but it would help ease my mind if I knew that there is an option if I ever get into a bind. Smile

What are the best practices for loading a "library" without creating an object ("include?") - El Forum - 08-21-2009

[eluser]tomcode[/eluser]
Quote:Is there a “lite” equivalent of load->library() that more or less acts just like include()? Or something that works like load->library() that returns an instance instead of attaching it to the $CI object?

No. But using CI's constant APPPATH You can easily write Your own load methods (CI does not use include_path). Additionally I'd recommend to place Your classes in an extra folder under the application folder to prevent confusion.

You could also extend the loader class with these methods.

[eluser]gwelter[/eluser]
I did this in my code with a helper since helpers are not instantiated (they're made to be a library of global functions). Put your class file in the application/helpers folder, and then either autoload the helper or call
Code:
$this->load->helper('classfile');
when you need it.

[eluser]kirkryyn[/eluser]
Thanks for the feedback so far! I think it would be a good idea for me to look into the Loader class anyway, but it sounds like going the helper route might be the simplest.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Quote:Is there a “lite” equivalent of load->library() that more or less acts just like include()? Or something that works like load->library() that returns an instance instead of attaching it to the $CI object?
Yes there is.

You might try using the core function "load_class()", although you are required to use the CI_ class prefix if you require the class instantiated, it does not require CI_ prefix, and will not instantiate the library with FALSE as the second parameter.

Code:
load_class('Custom_lib', FALSE);

Alternatively you might consider using the plugin convention. Plugins are loaded but not instantiated. Probably more appropriate than as a helper.