CodeIgniter Forums
View providing no results, but table has recent entries - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: View providing no results, but table has recent entries (/showthread.php?tid=23170)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

View providing no results, but table has recent entries - El Forum - 10-08-2009

[eluser]Bob Puzld[/eluser]
Ok, after closing it with the parenthesis I get this error...

Fatal error: Call to undefined method CI_DB_mysql::_error_message() in /home/rrrprogr/public_html/system/application/controllers/users.php on line 269

Does this make more sense?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
I don't know - I just popped in for the syntax error. I've never used echo $this->db->_error_message();, but just went exploring, found the reference in system/database/DB_driver, and then tested it in my model. It doesn't error (presumably I have no errors to report) but OTOH it doesn't produce the error you're getting either.

Are you really sure you're loading the database library?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Oh, hang on - you're getting this in a controller file?

If you are using models, put this call closer to where you're doing the database call that's failing to generate results.

If you're not using models, come on in, the water's fine.

Yes, I am getting this in my controller file, and yes I am using models.

View providing no results, but table has recent entries - El Forum - 10-09-2009

I am still at a standstill. Nothing seems to work or change. Anyone else have an idea?

[eluser]Chad Fulton[/eluser]
Jedd - thanks for catching the parentheses! I'm trying to be too speedy.

Bob - I think I've figured your issue out - unfortunately there's likely some bad news for you.

Quote:Fatal error: Call to undefined method CI_DB_mysql::_error_message() in /home/rrrprogr/public_html/system/application/controllers/users.php on line 269

This tells us something very interesting:
The $this->db variable is loading up an instance of the class CI_DB_mysql. But wait! that is a class name that doesn't exist in CodeIgniter.

At least, it doesn't anymore. I was curious, and took a look at the SVN logs, and it turns out that that class was deleted on Sept. 24, 2006. Apparently you're running CodeIgniter 1.4.1 or earlier! I suspect that the old database code doesn't work well with the new MySQL version in some way. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much luck you're going to have getting help on this forum regarding an issue from that far back.

So, it looks like your only option is to try and upgrade to a newer version. I have no idea how much the CI team worked to maintain backwards compatibility (although your code looks pretty much like CodeIgniter code these days), so it may go smoothly or not.

If you're planning on doing a lot of new development on this project, I would suggest trying to upgrade to 1.7.2 and see what breaks (probably something) and try and fix it. If you just want it to work for a little while longer without too much trouble, try upgrading to version 1.5.1.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Chad - nicely done, hunting through SVN to find the vintage of that change.

Bob - I stand corrected on my 'no need to upgrade' - sorry!

Upgrades tend to be relatively painless, but if it's an inherited site then it's less safe to assume certain things (like changes to core 'untouchable' files).

You may want to grab a copy of the vintage you're running - and compare each of the system files to look for changes before proceeding. In my experience you are better off working through each upgrade in sequence - a lot of work, I know - keeping an eye out for the regular 'and don't forget to do this ...' in the upgrade instructions.

Chad and Jed, thanks for your replies. I appreciate all of your help on this. I will work on the CI upgrade and will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

-Bob

View providing no results, but table has recent entries - El Forum - 10-19-2009

Ok everyone. I finally updated codeigniter to the most current version of 1.7.2. I stepped through the update one version at a time, as per your suggestions. Nothing major was altered and I still have the same exact problem. Does anyone have anything else??

View providing no results, but table has recent entries - El Forum - 10-20-2009

[eluser]Chad Fulton[/eluser]
Glad to hear the updates went well!

[quote author="Chad Fulton" date="1254962093"]In your controller, after the line where you call the GetPaymentRequests function, add this:
Code:
var_dump($this->db->_error_message());
die;

Let us know what shows up. The MySQL error should let us know what the problem is.[/quote]

I would try this again if I were you. It should show the MySQL error message (the problem last time was that CodeIgniter was too old, so it should work now).