CodeIgniter Forums
Application Framework and Content Management System - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Application Framework and Content Management System (/showthread.php?tid=2607)

Application Framework and Content Management System - El Forum - 08-14-2007

[eluser]StormStrikes[/eluser]
Hello all.

Ive been kinda looking around some trying to discover what I can about CodeIgniter. I found the site in a search for a new CMS. The descriptions, general information I am reading an such are a tad exciting.

I am, however, left with trying to figure out what if any differences there may be in the description of a 'Web Application Framework' over 'Content Management System'. I currently use Joomla and have now for problably close to two years. I like Joomla but it just seems to lack in areas. It seems more geared towards someone with either large traffic sites, sites with lots of advertising, or basically anything other than someone that just wants to put up a good semantically correct website. There are a lot of 'major' features for websites that just have not been well developed such as ecommerce, mailing lists and so forth.

So Im here trying to find a new CMS. I like the idea of a content management system, it does make things easier in many respects, but I just feel I need more flexibility than Joomla offers. However, I am not php savvy though I would like to try and learn.

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the differences and what challenges I may face in trying to build a site with CodeIgniter I would appreciate it. Keep in mind I am new and Im still digging around the site looking at the Wiki and documentation.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
A framework is a collection of tools that will make the creation of your program easier. Code Igniter makes connecting to a database, returning results, formatting dates/strings/text, etc. very easy. But, it does nothing by itself. You don't install it on your server and start writing articles - you still have to program your CMS (or video sharing site, or mapping site, or to-do list, or whatever you want).

A CMS is a program that has already been programmed (you can make one with CI) that you install on your server and it allows you to post content to the web. Things like Joomla, Wordpress, etc. are CMS applications.

An analogy: Code Igniter is to Joomla, as .NET is to Outlook. Code Igniter and .NET are underlying tools that ease the creation of things like Joomla and Outlook.

[eluser]StormStrikes[/eluser]
Outstanding. Thanks for that info. More or less it is the foundation in which to work from?

This could get interesting. It would seem to me, then, that there is a great deal of flexibility in that approach in that I could build whatever site I desire instead of having to work within the confines of what has already been programmed.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
exactly - it will just take time, dedication, and the passion to learn.