CodeIgniter Forums
How to autoload sitewide variables - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How to autoload sitewide variables (/showthread.php?tid=32019)

Pages: 1 2

How to autoload sitewide variables - El Forum - 07-10-2010

[eluser]Christophe28[/eluser]
Hi,

I wonder how to autoload variables to use sitewide like current online users, etc ...

I have read the userguide->autoloader but it seems this is only to autoload helpers, models, etc

Do I have to autoload a library with the online_users() function and include $data['online_users'] = $this->autoload_library->online_users(); in every conroller? There must be a better way?

Can somebody tell me how this is commonly done in codeigniter?

Thank you :-)

Christophe

How to autoload sitewide variables - El Forum - 07-10-2010

[eluser]treeface[/eluser]
You could always make your own library and load it when you need it (or simply load it site-wide in your autoload config file).

http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/general/creating_libraries.html

You can keep variables, functions, or whatever else you need in there, because it is, effectively, just a class.

How to autoload sitewide variables - El Forum - 07-11-2010

[eluser]LuckyFella73[/eluser]
Hi Christophe,

search the forum for my_controller - you will get lots of helpfull
information and hints how to solve your problem.

Cheers

Hi,

I have searched the forum and userguide for 'my_controller' but can't find any useful information. There must be a simply way to autoload a file or class giving some variables for all pages in one time? Does somebody know how to do this?

I'm new in codeigniter and even oop ... I only have created some controllers, models, views and library, but saw myself creating the same variables over and over again for each page (controllerfunction) like 'online users' etc ...

Christophe

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
MY_Controller is discussed in the user guide section "Creating core classes".

Alternative is to create a custom config file, define your variables there, and load it using $this->load->config() or via autoload. You can then use $this->config->item() in your controllers to fetch the variables.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

But creating a config file, autoloading it would be the same as creating a library and autoloading it, not? I could use the variables in the all different controllers, but my goal is to autoload a file or class, and use the variables directly in the view like for example using {memory_usage} I'd like to create somthing like this {online_users} ...

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
What you could do is this:

Extend the controller class and have your own _output method. Something like this:
Code:
class MY_Controller extends Controller
{
  function MY_Controller()
  {
    parent::Controller();
  }

function _output($output)
  {
    $this->load->model('Some_model');

echo str_replace('{online_users}', $this->Some_model->get_online_users(), $output);
  }
}

All your controllers then have to extend MY_Controller instead of Controller. Check the User Guide for more into on this.

Hi,

I have tried some things but got errors all the way Sad

When I used the output function like you mentioned I just got an emtpy webpage ...

Thx anyway.

Best,
Christophe

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
Mh..should work as my example more or less directly taken from the user guide.

I'll give it a try myself..maybe I can get it to work.

That would be great! I was kind of giving up here ...