CodeIgniter Forums
GET parameters won't work - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forum-20.html)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: GET parameters won't work (/thread-33795.html)



GET parameters won't work - El Forum - 09-08-2010

[eluser]Mr. Pickle[/eluser]
Hi, I'm having a problem with GET parameters (query parameters).
Some external sites (like Google) add a GET parameter when linking to my site, but this is also done by several affiliate programs. For example:
http://www.mysite.com/?gclid=a-string-comes-here (Google)

When loading this URL I get:
404 Page Not Found
The page you requested was not found.
while loading http://www.mysite.com/ loads ok.

I know because of security reasons CI does not allow query parameters.
For other sites I have found a solution in:

1. Removing the ? from the htaccess rewriterule;
2. Set uri_protocol to PATH_INFO (instead of default AUTO);
3. Leaving the enable_query_strings to FALSE.

I have even got this working local for this project. But for some reason when publishing the code to my server it does not work anymore. Setting PATH_INFO results in having all my pages load the default controller (as if CI does not read the full url anymore)
Removing the ? from the htaccess also troubles it completely.

For info, the server runs on Ubuntu with Apache 2.2.8

At this moment I got back to default settings (and thus with a non-working site if query param is present)

My current .htaccess:
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [L]

My current config.php contains (only those applicable on this issue)

Code:
$config['index_page'] = "";

$config['uri_protocol']    = "AUTO";

$config['enable_query_strings'] = FALSE;



GET parameters won't work - El Forum - 09-08-2010

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
With mod_php query strings will work with PATH_INFO and enable_query_strings set to TRUE. I quess you have PHP run as CGI in other server and it wont work there. Check this thread for advice how to get GET work also on CGI:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/96347/


GET parameters won't work - El Forum - 09-08-2010

[eluser]pbreit[/eluser]
Try this as outlined in this thread:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/159382/

Code:
class MY_Input extends CI_Input
{
    function _sanitize_globals()
    {
        $this->allow_get_array = TRUE;
        parent::_sanitize_globals();
    }
}

Note: this should work with a normal .htaccess file and default configs.


GET parameters won't work - El Forum - 09-09-2010

[eluser]Mr. Pickle[/eluser]
[quote author="pbreit" date="1284010566"]Try this as outlined in this thread:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/159382/

Code:
class MY_Input extends CI_Input
{
    function _sanitize_globals()
    {
        $this->allow_get_array = TRUE;
        parent::_sanitize_globals();
    }
}

Note: this should work with a normal .htaccess file and default configs.[/quote]

Hi, unfortunately this doesn't help. I made MY_Input.php and put it in the libraries folder of my application folder. The site still works but CI gives the '404' error if you add a query parameter.

Just to be clear, I do not want to use the query params I just want the site to work (and rather ignore) them but leave them in the url so Google and affiliate systems can do with it what they want.


GET parameters won't work - El Forum - 09-09-2010

[eluser]Mr. Pickle[/eluser]
And yes, the production environment has CGI as PHP server API, which might explain the different behavior with other servers I worked on (having Apache as PHP server API)


GET parameters won't work - El Forum - 09-09-2010

[eluser]Mr. Pickle[/eluser]
The solution on http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/96347/ works for me.

This contains:

Changing the following 2 lines in the config.php file:

1.
Code:
$config['uri_protocol'] = "AUTO";
to:
Code:
$config['uri_protocol'] = "APP_PATH";


2.
Code:
$config['enable_query_strings'] = FALSE;
to:
Code:
$config['enable_query_strings'] = TRUE;


And setting the following .htaccess file:

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_APP_PATH} !^$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [E=APP_PATH:%{ENV:REDIRECT_APP_PATH}]

RewriteCond %{ENV:APP_PATH} ^$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [E=APP_PATH:/$1]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [L]

Only thing is I don't yet understand what I've done/set with the new htaccess and if/how this will effect my application.