CodeIgniter Forums
CodeIgniter 2.x Release & Information - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: CodeIgniter 2.x Release & Information (/showthread.php?tid=34109)

CodeIgniter 2.x Release & Information - El Forum - 09-19-2010

[eluser]c69821bcb[/eluser]
I'm a new CodeIgniter user (Working with Drupal, but need CI for customized Apps). Learning about CodeIgniter already. Now i'm planing to start a project using it. I'm getting many articles about release of major new version of CodeIgniter 2.x. So, i just want to know::

* Start new project by using CodeIgniter 1.7.2 or wait for 2.x ?

I saw some information about PHP5 only support (Leaving PHP4, which is great) in new 2.x version of codeigniter. But i'm getting confuse about v2.0 and v2.1 ... So want to know::

* In which version we will get PHP5 only framework (ie.. No PHP4 support) = 2.0 or 2.1 ?
* Which version is coming next after 1.7.2 .... v2.0 or v2.1(direct) ?

I saw a thread (http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/151975/) where "WanWizard" suggested (23 August 2010 02:33 AM) to wait for v2.x version. But, its going around 1 month after that post. So, i want to know::

* When will we get stable CodeIgniter 2.x ?
* Any source ? Where we can know about its predicted date/month of release ?

Waiting for reply ...

--Thanks

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I didn't say 'wait', I said 'use'. The current development version on Bitbucket contains quite a few bugfixes. Lots of major developments are based on CI2.0. I've been using it for months, it's very stable.

2.0 still supports PHP4, but new features will not support PHP4 anymore. For 2.1, all PHP4 support will be removed. Not that this is relevant, nobody's stopping you from using PHP5+ features in your application.

On CodeIgniter.com website ... There is still showing latest stable release 1.7.2 .... I checked Bitbucket source code of version CI-2 .... I saw the "ChangeLog" file in the user_guide documentation. Which contain:

Version 2.0.0
Release Date: not yet released

So my questions are:

* Will that be ok, if i start using that sourcecode (from Bitbucket site) for my production sites/projects ??

* When ? CI website will release final stable release of CI-2.0 on this website's homepage ? of course after all bugs fixed. But, just a estimate from your knowledge.

Also correct me, if I'm wrong in the followings:

* In CI-2.0 = New features dose not support PHP4.
* In CI-2.1 = Complete Source Code of CI will be update to PHP5 (End of PHP4 with CI)

--Thanks

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Your guess is as good as mine. It will be released when it's ready. In the meantime, just use it. I do.

And what is exactly the problem with the 'support or no support for PHP4'? Who cares? Or are you still developing in PHP4?

CodeIgniter 2.x Release & Information - El Forum - 09-20-2010

Well, i got all answers of my queries. So, going to use source code of CodeIgniter 2.0 from Bitbucket.

You are right about PHP4 ... "nobody’s stopping you from using PHP5+ features in your application".

I will update the "system" files, when CodeIgniter 2.0 release its final stable. Till then i will use latest source code from Bitbucket.

Thanks for your replies.

--Thanks WanWizard!

[eluser]Dennis Rasmussen[/eluser]
Short answer: Yes, you can use the CodeIgniter 2.0 framework directly from BitBucket at its current state.
And there is no official date as to when CI 2.0 is going to be released as a stable version.

Long answer: Isn't needed Smile

[eluser]Brandon Beasley[/eluser]
I'm gonna 2nd and 3rd that the current CI 2.0 is stable and I have been using it for all my recent projects with no issues.

You will have to use the user guide that is supplied with the 2.0 release because the online version of the guide is for CI 1.7.2