CodeIgniter Forums
CodeIgniter or Drupal? - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: CodeIgniter or Drupal? (/showthread.php?tid=38403)

Pages: 1 2

CodeIgniter or Drupal? - El Forum - 02-07-2011

[eluser]Rubiz'[/eluser]
Which one do you prefer?

[eluser]mejlo[/eluser]
Wrong question... Smile
Codeigniter is PHP framework, Drupal is CMS.
Tongue

[eluser]Rubiz'[/eluser]
I knew that it was a dangerous question to expose in here =)

But the world tells wildly about Drupal, more than CI. I have worked a lot with CI, and I really like it. I never worked with Drupal.

I'm learning about it =]

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
Trolling much? Smile

No, seriously, different tools altogether. Me personally, I hate the limitations imposed on me by any of ready made cms systems. With CI, i have a feeling I can get anything done within a fraction of time and aggravation compared to raw php. Now, if I wanted to set up a site and didn't really know how to code or wished to get something online with min. hassle then go with something like Drupal. Me, i'd prolly take something like snews, so it's easier to tinker around. Should be obvious to find CI supporters here, duh.

[eluser]Rubiz'[/eluser]
I think CI is a fantastic php framework, I have been saved for it in my freelance jobs since 2008 haha!!

But all I hear about in North America is WordPress and Drupal. And more Drupal than WordPress.

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
Yes, I've been hearing about it more and more myself. I've been tempted to give it another go, this is as good as reminder as any. I'll post here if I like it, not in a mood for bashing anyway.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I believe Rubiz' question is a valid one -- there is a choice to be made between working with MVC frameworks or CMS frameworks.

I'm learning CodeIgniter for the first time after working with Drupal for a few years. I strongly recommend CodeIgniter over Drupal, and for that matter MVC frameworks in general over CMS frameworks.

Drupal is clunky and awkward, and Drupal 7 is only a minor improvement over Drupal 6 in this area (this is what convinced me it was time to look elsewhere). Drupal and Joomla add considerable overhead in terms of extra/unnecessary code. Drupal sites are generally slow unless considerable effort is made to optimize, which defeats its time-saving benefits.

For me, the appeal of CodeIgniter is how closely it resembles simple, reusable code organized into include files. I believe this should be the aspiration of anyone who works with PHP professionally. It is nearly the equivalent of writing and referencing the code yourself across projects -- but leveraging a community of programmers and best practices.

[eluser]CoolGoose[/eluser]
The question is more like what do you like PyroCMS or Drupal ? Smile

CodeIgniter or Drupal? - El Forum - 02-25-2011

[eluser]iamzozo[/eluser]
Not a troll topic, but sometimes it get well discussed. But it depends on where you ask this question. Maybe on drupal.org you get different answer Smile

I think there is not a good answer for this. Sometimes many drupal developers like to call drupal as a content management framework, not a cms, because of it's many functions which can use like codeigniter's. The main difference is the prewritten modules, in that case if you want to develop a website. I much like codeigniter over drupal, it's clean and simple. You can write what only you need, no other modules, functions, hooks involved. I created 2 websites which based on codeigniter. The first one took me 1-2 months (weekend job), but the next one was much faster, because i had the "cms" already.

Drupal is a very robust and complex system, and you can do a lot of things with it. But if you prefer codeigniter and if you have TIME i suggest go on with CI.
Write your own modules like blog, comments, categories, assets, users etc. and next time you don't have to worry about it. There are a lot of great libraries which handle things like user management and it's also flexible, like formgenlib, ionauth, imagemoo or a datamapper.
With these libraries you can create a basic site functionality in a few days.
And what i like most in this workflow and ci, that i only do what i need, nothing more.

I'm a designer not a developer, and i have worked with a few drupal site where i had to create themes for it. What i don't like, it was the hacks what i had to do in css, and to build upon the generated code, when sometimes i miss some divs or there were to many Smile
So the exactly difference for me is to create a design for drupal or create the output code for the design (view) - in ci.
So i think the main question is always will be different, it depends on where and who you ask Smile Somebody suggest it, to do a site in drupal and one in ci, and after it you can decide it Smile
To get confused a bit:
"Custom code is not evil".
"There is a module for everything"
Big Grin

CodeIgniter or Drupal? - El Forum - 02-25-2011

[eluser]ramm[/eluser]
That's right iamzozo.

Actually i got to CI because i had to decide between Drupal and whatever else to build a website for a client. I started messing around with Drupal and i didn't like it. As a FrontEnd Developer i don't like not having total control over the HTML. And i mean TOTAL.

I'm a designer too, and i have made some WP themes, worked with Symfony a little bit, tried Drupal, TextPattern, Joomla, and some others... but after working with CI, i'll just stick with it.

Quote:And what i like most in this workflow and ci, that i only do what i need, nothing more.