CodeIgniter Forums
404 page not found... - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 404 page not found... (/showthread.php?tid=44002)

Pages: 1 2 3

404 page not found... - El Forum - 08-03-2011

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
[quote author="Ivar89" date="1312391209"]Yhea I really should, but if I do that I have to edit allot, I mean every controller need to be edited to ci_controller and probably some other stuff from which I do not know, so it iwll take a while and I am SWAMPED atm

But the rpoblem is my laptop because on my work laptop it works flawleslySmile[/quote]

This is why you should extend the Controller class or use a Base controller.
Code:
class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller{

public function __construct(){
         parent::__construct();
   }

}

Then in each of your controllers use the base controller. That way when you need to update the syntax, you can do it in your base controller, and not every controller.

Also, try search in replace in your editor. Most decent text editors will do a search and replace in folders.

The controller syntax is the only other major change in CI2.0 syntax. If you have extend some system libaries, some of those just need to be moved from /application/libraries to /application/core. Took me about 10 mins or so do as well for each site.

404 page not found... - El Forum - 08-04-2011

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Questions and suggestions:

1) Do your PHP versions differ between your laptop and the server? Which constructor you use will depend on the PHP version. If they don't match, you should make your laptop match the production server as close as possible so that there are no surprises.

2) Make sure you code your class names and such properly. Again, capitalization.
Code:
class Portfolio extends Controller {

// PHP 4 Constructor
    function Portfolio()
    {
        parent::Controller();
    }

// PHP 5 Constructor
    function __construct()
    {
        parent::Controller();
    }
}

3) Like LuckyFella73 suggested, you want to avoid your CI controller names conflicting with actual folders.

4) Extending on #3, a properly set up .htaccess file will be able to tell the difference between an existing directory or not. Search around for alternative .htaccess recommendations besides what you have already.

[eluser]LuckyFella73[/eluser]
@ Aken

Quote:4) Extending on #3, a properly set up .htaccess file will be able to tell the difference between an existing directory or not.

Does that mean you can have a folder with the same name as a controller when setting
up the htaccess the right way?
A while ago I searched for hours to find such an .htaccess example but couldn't find one.
Could you provide one? Would be really nice to have Smile

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Here is a very basic .htaccess that I recommend for CodeIgniter. It will default to an existing file or directory if one exists before sending it through CodeIgniter's index.php. You might also want to look at http://www.html5boilerplate.com and their .htaccess for additional rules that will help your application.
Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#Removes access to the system folder by users.
    #Additionally this will allow you to create a System.php controller,
    #previously this would not have been possible.
    #'system' can be replaced if you have renamed your system folder.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^system.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php/$1 [L]

#Checks to see if the user is attempting to access a valid file,
    #such as an image or css document, if this isn't true it sends the
    #request to index.php
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php/$1 [L]
</IfModule>

<IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
    # If we don't have mod_rewrite installed, all 404's
    # can be sent to index.php, and everything works as normal.
    # Submitted by: ElliotHaughin

ErrorDocument 404 /index.php
</IfModule>

Tryed that .htaccess but it does not work for me.
I did a test with a fresh CI installation, created a folder
called "welcome" and placed an index.html in that folder.
When calling http://localhost/ht/welcome/ (where "ht" is my test folder in htdocs)
I get the index.html not the welcome/index controller/method.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Yes that's the exact functionality it should have. I thought that's what you were requesting. The .htaccess says "If this URL does not contain a valid directory or file, rewrite the URL to this...". Existing files and directories will take priority.

If you want your CI controllers to always take priority over any existing directories that are accessible via the same URL, just remove this part of the .htaccess:
Code:
That way, it will only check that the requested URL is a valid file (if it is, it will display the file, not rewrite to CodeIgniter).

I'd still recommend finding an alternative to that (existing files and directories should always be higher priority in my opinion), but I suppose there may be situations where it's desired.

Hmm, maybe I'm doing something wrong though commenting out a line isn't
that hard Wink But that still doesn't work for me.

Quote:I’d still recommend finding an alternative to that (existing files and directories should always be higher priority in my opinion)

The last time I had this kind of conflict I had a controller "downloads" and a folder
"downloads" containing pdf files and so on. When calling the controller of course I
was sent to the directory - what in my opinion makes no sense as long as I don't specify
a file inside the "downloads" folder.

Would be good to have a rule that can differentiate between that. But never mind - it's not a big deal to choose different controller/directory names Wink

Thanks for trying to help anyway!

[eluser]Ivar89[/eluser]
wow late replay for me(very busy at work)
I don't have my controllers in separate folder just in the controller folderSmile
If I copy CI to another computers localhost it does work so it really the laptop.

I made a base controller and that works so then its easy to update CI, and I'll do that soonSmile

Yet no matter what I do it still won't work on my laptopTongue

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
[quote author="Ivar89" date="1312471242"]Yet no matter what I do it still won't work on my laptopTongue[/quote]

I had this happen to me once, and then it hit me. I had created an alias for a directory that I had longed forgot about. Double check your apache aliases and make sure you don't have a conflict there.

One question we have forgot to ask you is it a CI 404 error (gray box with red letters), or an Apache 404?

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
[quote author="Aken" date="1312468552"]Yes that's the exact functionality it should have. I thought that's what you were requesting. The .htaccess says "If this URL does not contain a valid directory or file, rewrite the URL to this...". Existing files and directories will take priority.

If you want your CI controllers to always take priority over any existing directories that are accessible via the same URL, just remove this part of the .htaccess:
Code:
That way, it will only check that the requested URL is a valid file (if it is, it will display the file, not rewrite to CodeIgniter).

I'd still recommend finding an alternative to that (existing files and directories should always be higher priority in my opinion), but I suppose there may be situations where it's desired.[/quote]

-d flag is for directories
-f flag is for files