CodeIgniter Forums
autoload stylesheet - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: autoload stylesheet (/showthread.php?tid=4549)

Pages: 1 2

autoload stylesheet - El Forum - 12-01-2007

[eluser]josh48202[/eluser]
i created a separate stylesheet to keep the stuff organized better for the stuff i add in and i edited the autoload.php file n added
Code:
$autoload['stylesheet'] = array('application/views/stylesheet.css');
did i do this right and do i have to add something to the index file to get it to load. sorry im still new to this.

autoload stylesheet - El Forum - 12-02-2007

[eluser]BoltClock[/eluser]
You can't autoload stylesheets as far as I know.

I would create a directory under /application/views called /css, then save the stylesheet in there. Then I'd create a separate view file called header.php and add the <link /> pointing to the stylesheet and get all my view files to include('header.php') at the top the old school way.

Don't worry, I'm new to CI too so there may be a better way around this. Hope that helped Smile

i think what i added to the autoload.php worked but it doesnt always work on somefiles. some files i have to add the link to the stylesheet and the other times i dont. so i dont know

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
You can't autoload a stylesheet. Your best bet is to create a global view file named header and then load that from all of your normal view files.

alright well b4 i tried autoloading the stylesheet i was using this so il just stick with this instead of doing the header thing ur guys are taling about
Code:
<style type='text/css'>
<?
$this->file(BASEPATH.'application/views/stylesheet.css');
?>
</style>

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
That's basically what we're saying to, except rather than typing that into every file you can do something like this:

_global/header.php
Code:
<html>
  <head>
    <title>My Site</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/assets/css/style.css" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" />
  </head>

whateverview.php
Code:
<?= $this->load->view('_global/header'); ?>
  &lt;body&gt;<p>Wow!</p>&lt;/body&gt;
&lt;/html&gt;

There are quite a few advantageous to this - mainly, if you ever change stylesheets (or add more), you only have to change one file.

ooo gotcha ya yea thats easier to remember and type thank you for your help.

autoload stylesheet - El Forum - 12-28-2007

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
I have just released by Asset Linker library. This does everything you want, so give it a go.

Link is in my sig

[eluser]Nick Husher[/eluser]
Additionally, the "$this->file()" approach prints the contents of the stylesheet into a &lt;style&gt;&lt;/style&gt; block, which isn't ideal. If you externally link your stylesheets (with a &lt;link/&gt; tag or otherwise) and your server is set up correctly (with Last-Modified or Expires headers), you can significantly reduce your bandwidth needs for a given page because the stylesheet need only be downloaded once and can be used across pages. My only additional suggestion is to set a base href and declare everything relative to that:
Code:
&lt;html&gt;
&lt;head&gt;
  &lt;base href="&lt;?=site_url() ?&gt;" /&gt;
  &lt;link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="assets/css/style.css" /&gt;

This way your server's base path could be "www.example.com" while your CodeIgniter base path (defined in config.php) can be something different, such as "www.example.com/my_CI_app/test" while still allowing you to use the same header template in all your views.

[eluser]eggshape[/eluser]
One solution I've used is to create a CSS-autoload helper, autoload the helper using CI, and then call the helper function in each view to pull the correct CSS according to the viewfile name.