CodeIgniter Forums
CI's next release estimate? / CI Praise - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: CI's next release estimate? / CI Praise (/showthread.php?tid=5149)

Pages: 1 2 3

CI's next release estimate? / CI Praise - El Forum - 01-10-2008

[eluser]James Pax[/eluser]
Code Igniter is the best thing ever! Btw I can't connect to the SVN, I followed Derek's easy tutorial but Tortoise asks for authorisation... :|

I created a folder, done import, place the url in and after connecting it asks for username + password, I got really excited when I heared about the Repository! Big Grin

Edit: fixed! Big Grin I fiddled around a little and managed to in... I'm off to explore!! Big Grin

CI's next release estimate? / CI Praise - El Forum - 01-10-2008

[eluser]litzinger[/eluser]
If you like CI and want PHP5, there is always Kohana.

Am I going to get slapped on the wrist for typing that here? Smile

CI's next release estimate? / CI Praise - El Forum - 01-11-2008

[eluser]m9dfukc[/eluser]
hi guys,

i thought the will come some official orm stuff in the next release.

@tilzinger: yeah, kohana is a nice project but still very 'alpha' (thats just my personal feeling). the lack of documentation is the thing with really needs to push some steps further to get on a stage with codeigniter. and there are also a lot of libraries around ci with are still missing in kohana (don't have the time to convert all the stuff for myself).

kohana seems very promising - but needs just a little bit more time.

... just my opinion Smile

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
yup kohana guys are good guys, but their goals are different then ours. I'd prefer you kept kohana discussion on their boards though.

@darksky()... glad you got the SVN up and running.

@all: I'd like to highlight the SVN more for new users... right now its just a 1 sentence note on the bottom of a userguide page that most people don't ever need to read. I'd love to hear thoughts on ways we could highlight it more.

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
how about a link on the codeigniter home page? :-) right next to the Bug Tracker link?

[eluser]Esko[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1200082936"]@all: I'd like to highlight the SVN more for new users... right now its just a 1 sentence note on the bottom of a userguide page that most people don't ever need to read. I'd love to hear thoughts on ways we could highlight it more.[/quote]

Thanks for your blog i looked the SVN really carefully and now i am already using it. For me, as a beginner with versioning, it was helpful. But i also would like to link out Single-User [email protected], it helped me to understand the basics about importing and differences of trunk and working directory.

[eluser]Hamilogre[/eluser]
This is helpful. I have been developing a project, and debating weather to stick with CI, or move to another framework, as I haven't heard much about the lasting support from the CI dev team. Reading this is reassuring to the fact that it will continue to be developed and maintained.

Thanks guys!

[eluser]thurting[/eluser]
[quote author="kabatak" date="1199843901"]
By the way here's a little trivia: I am a solid CI fan but somehow I sort of evaluated other frameworks during the past months including the Zend framework recently. It was good, however I still ended up saying: CI has all that I need and I love the way CI does it Smile

For example in the Zend framework, you need to access $_GET elements using name/value pairs like
example.com/controller/action/name/value/name/value/name/value which has a potential to make the URL too long. In Codeigniter you don't need that name element anymore, just value! example.com/controller/action/value/value/value
[/quote]

If I have my information correct, Zend Framework is planning a semi-major release in the next couple of months (1.5). It will contain a bunch of bug fixes and loads of new functionality - including CLI support and build tools. There is also a neat little proposal for handling Ajax in the works, but I don't know if that is going to make it into 1.5. You may want to look at the roadmap and make a decision based on that. Also, you can easily build your own router (you can actually build multiple routers) with ZF, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the format of the URL. At this point in time, CI is much more friendly out of the box. However, I have found that if you really dig into the ZF it becomes very easy to work with and is quite robust.

[eluser]kabatak[/eluser]
[quote author="thurting" date="1200103086"]
If I have my information correct, Zend Framework is planning a semi-major release in the next couple of months (1.5). It will contain a bunch of bug fixes and loads of new functionality - including CLI support and build tools. There is also a neat little proposal for handling Ajax in the works, but I don't know if that is going to make it into 1.5. You may want to look at the roadmap and make a decision based on that. Also, you can easily build your own router (you can actually build multiple routers) with ZF, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the format of the URL. At this point in time, CI is much more friendly out of the box. However, I have found that if you really dig into the ZF it becomes very easy to work with and is quite robust.[/quote]

Yeah I know that Zend is very much customizable but having it customized to my preference defeats the "rapid" that I am already getting from CI. Right now, developing applications faster than usual is my main concern for choosing a framework because after all it's the main point of having a framework otherwise I could just create one for my own (which I already did but it just requires a lifetime to perfect it all by myself Smile

[eluser]Neovive[/eluser]
You could also try integrating ZF with CI to utilize some of the powerful ZF libraries while still benefiting from the structure and workflow of CI. There are quite a few integration methods on these forums, wiki and on the web. This method looks very interesting.