CodeIgniter Forums
Is CodeIgniter Suitable for every Application? - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Is CodeIgniter Suitable for every Application? (/showthread.php?tid=55094)

Is CodeIgniter Suitable for every Application? - El Forum - 10-10-2012

[eluser]newbie22[/eluser]
I have read a little about CodeIgniter but not yet convinced the benefits apply to the website I intend to build.

I want to build an International Trading website that will involve numerous databases from which users will be able to interact. In the commencement of the User Guide it refers to a website for the publishing news items which is quite different to the site I intend building.

I am at present focusing on a registration/login script and the User Guide appears not to facilitate that type of start to a website.

Can somebody please provide some advise?

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="newbie22" date="1349858116"]I have read a little about CodeIgniter but not yet convinced the benefits apply to the website I intend to build.

I want to build an International Trading website that will involve numerous databases from which users will be able to interact. In the commencement of the User Guide it refers to a website for the publishing news items which is quite different to the site I intend building.

I am at present focusing on a registration/login script and the User Guide appears not to facilitate that type of start to a website.

Can somebody please provide some advise?[/quote]

CodeIgniter is not just for publishing news items. In fact, CodeIgniter by itself doesn't fit any single purpose. What it does for you is make common PHP tasks easier. If all you use if for us routing you'd be better off than using procedural PHP.

No, CodeIgniter does not have an authentication feature, and I'm very glad it doesn't. I say that because I hate some of the popular authentication libraries. I won't name names, but if one of those ever became part of CI core, I'd probably stop using CI. A quick search on Google should present a few options for authentication. I use my own (Community Auth).

I think the best framework is the one you feel best about using. You'll eventually try them all. Lately I've been learning Ruby / Rails, and in some ways it's a lot like CI, but it does provide a lot of "magic". I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I won't know if it is better suited for a particular application until I get more experience. The same is true for you and CI. You really can't know if CI is right for you unless you get some experience using it. Also, if you don't know PHP, forget about it...

Thanks Brian for your comment. The reason I join these sites is because I don't know PHP, although very keen to learn, but I doubt "forgetting" about it will solve my problems.

I have opened your Community Auth site page, although not yet fully studied it, however it appears to be in the right direction for my intentions.

I am looking for a partner for my project and I'll make contact with you in that regard via your website.

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
If you don't know PHP you should first of all start learning procedural PHP and then go on to object-oriented PHP closing of with learning PHP-Frameworks. That's really the better way because you'd otherwise run into problems you can actually avoid by learning "plain" PHP Wink

Thanks IgnitedCo.de - Firstly, I intend building only one website and I would prefer to spend my time on building rather than learning, hence my desire to integrate a partner into the project.