CodeIgniter Forums
Speeding up CI - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Speeding up CI (/showthread.php?tid=5556)

Pages: 1 2

Speeding up CI - El Forum - 01-26-2008

[eluser]Ahmed Nuaman[/eluser]
One thing that I've always liked about the .NET framework is that you can compile it for MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) which means that scripts are no longer interoperated but are native os code which makes them run up to 7x faster and stops your clients stealing your code!

I've been having a look at PHP .NET-like compilers and some seem to do them same. Many of them, however, have limitations:

- You can't use PHP libraries that don't exist on .NET framework
- Many of them are still in beta and may not work on all of your code
- None of them really seem to have much documentation

They do, however, have some advantages, apart from making your code load super fast, it means you can use .NET libraries and classes, but who'd want to do that when you're coding in PHP right?

So, is there any other way to speed up CI and other PHP apps?

[eluser]hepp[/eluser]
You have utilities like eaccelerator, that caches the compiled state of your scripts.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
Quote:You have utilities like eaccelerator, that caches the compiled state of your scripts.

I highly recommend this. it works on all of my servers and speed my applications up 2 - 4 times. :-) Great piece of kit. :-)

Over APC and Xcache?

APC is Good but had no luck when using it with CI and Xcache i have never used but looking at the website it looks good, i hope it is easy to integrate as was eaccelerator.

Just tried installing eAccelerator but had no luck. I bought all my PHP sites down. APC is good, I mean the only down turn is that phpMyAdmin doesn't load up. Lame. Xcache, hmm, don't know if I can be bothered.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, it is probably a bug in eAccelerator and as it is still in beta I cannot confirm if is or not. It also shows some beta software's are not stable enough for a release. also from the last few comments i am now being turned off from using eAccelerator again at least until it is stable.

As with APC it good and reliable. No faults so far :roll: .

Well APC is good, but it conflicts with PHPMyAdmin, which is a pain! Hmm, what to do! I mean I could run PMA on our in-house server and set it up to connect to our production server. APC is good, hasn't crashed, it's fast, well not as fast as native code, but still fast.

Just out of Interest: Is there a way to set up APC on certain folder or files only? If there is is you could set it to ignore your PHPMyAdmin directory. this would save you having to link the dev server to a production server.

If not the way you suggested should work.

Good idea, I had a look and it seems I have to define "apc.filters". I've done it, to regex set to .*/pma.* but it doesn't seem to work!