CodeIgniter Forums
testing server - fine, production - all blank! - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: testing server - fine, production - all blank! (/showthread.php?tid=5591)

Pages: 1 2

testing server - fine, production - all blank! - El Forum - 01-27-2008

[eluser]dgh500[/eluser]
Hi, I have just uploaded my site made with CI, and nothing (at all.. even errors!) seems to be showing on my server version! Does anyone have any ideas? I have searched the forum and seen some similar problems but none of those solutions are relevant/work for me I don't think.

[eluser]James Gifford[/eluser]
I get the same results sometimes when the live database settings are different from my development server. Do you have a different username/password for your live database?

[eluser]dgh500[/eluser]
no the database is on an altogether separate server - my app is on a LAMP server, database is a mssql one on an IIS server so i dont see connecting being any more of a problem on my remote lamp server to my home lamp server?

The only other sources of this error I can think of are some sort of configuration error or a missing library of some sort.

When you uploaded to your live server, did you change all of the necessary settings (such as base_url) to match that environment? Also, did you make sure to copy over all of the files and any external libraries? You might also check that your CI library file names all start with an uppercase letter.

Also, are you sure that your database server is allowing a connection from your live server?

I know these are all basic, general suggestions, but I can't think of any other specific causes for a blank page.

[eluser]dgh500[/eluser]
i changed base url for sure, and thats all i think. all of the files are all there, and all lib files are Capitalized. I've found WHERE it dies, on line 183 of CodeIgniter.php, trying to instantiate a Controller class; I can echo before but not after - any ideas knowing this?

edit and my server is running php 4.4.7 so i dont think theres a problem there

I've attempted to trigger a blank page error myself with no success. Could you provide a copy of your controller or at least the declaration, constructor and index functions?

Since your code works on your dev server, there must be some setting(s) on your live server that are causing this error. There may be some quirk with PHP 4.4.7, but I'm not aware of any.

[eluser]dgh500[/eluser]
Sorry that wasn't clear, its the default Controller.php class in the libraries/ folder that isn't being instantiated. My default page is index.php,which is being displayed - i can echo text fromwithin it, up until the last line - require_once BASEPATH.'codeigniter/CodeIgniter'.EXT; - as default, I've then stepped through CodeIgniter.php and found that on line 183, where the default Controller is being instantiated (the one that you always extend). Fromwithin the Controller class, I can echo before $this->_ci_initialize(); but not after... stumped!

[eluser]dgh500[/eluser]
OK its database problem Sad after lots of stepping throgh code the problem is line 873 (!) in Loader.php.. should be able tofigure it out from here

edit: anyone know what
// Load the DB class
$CI->db =& DB($params, $active_record);
does in Loader.php,line207?

This is how CI loads the database object. It is called when you connect to a database like this:
Code:
$this->load->database('db_name');

CI then uses the connection settings from the database.php config file for 'db_name' to connect to the database.

You might double-check your database settings to make sure they are correct for your database server. Also, there might be settings on your database server preventing you from connecting from your web server.

[eluser]dgh500[/eluser]
Yeah I'm thinking that actually, will have to give them a call tomorrow! Cheers for the help anyway!