CodeIgniter Forums
We really need a better 'Ignited Code' repository - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: We really need a better 'Ignited Code' repository (/showthread.php?tid=5672)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

We really need a better 'Ignited Code' repository - El Forum - 01-30-2008

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
I think one cruicial last thing CodeIgniter is needing is a better way to store/find 'Ignited Code'. I know this has been discussed before but I really feel that it is starting to become quite hard to find code between the 'Ignited Code' Forum and Wiki sections. We really need a better structured approach.

Sure there are some good sections around the place like the following:

Summary of Resources Libraries Helpers Plugins

I have also stumbled across CIForge which looked promising but seems to be somewhat dead now.

But I really feel that something better is required like the following offerings in other php projects and frameworks:

Joomla! Extensions - ideal example
CakeForge
osCommerce Community Contributions
phpBB mods

The summary wiki page above I think gives us a good idea on how to structure it but some of the cruicial things I think it also needs is things like a link back to the discussion about it, comments box (like php.net) and easily downloadable code.

[eluser]mglinski[/eluser]
I am currently in the process of building a site just like this Big Grin
Cant talk much about it but it should be good.
-Matt

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
Coming from developing for Mambo and Joomla! over the last 3+ years I have been used to the Joomla! Extensions site that lists all of the extensions for Joomla! in a nice directory format with lots of information about each extension to make searching easier.

This is something I feel CI needs. Not so much a "Forge" style site with code repositories and forums, bug tracking etc.
More just a simple directory of available CI apps and code snippets.

I think it should have some of the following features of course
1. Author details
2. Homepage
3. Some categorisation
4. Indicators as to whether it is a complete app, module (i.e. several code files that can be added to an app) or a code snippet. Also maybe indicate whether it is a controller, model, library, helper or plugin, or whether the app or module contains these things.
5. Ratings
6. Reviews

As stated above it should not contain any forum or bug tracking etc. Should not even host the files on that site, simply link to the developers official download area (which could very well be the CI wiki for example).
Purely a reference site to show what is available, where to get it, and simple ratings reviews of the code

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
I like tonan's idea

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
tonanbarbarian got exactly what I was meaning spot on - and the joomla addons site is a perfect example of what I was meaning to suggest. Not exactly a 'forge' site with bugs etc. but a listing of all community addons etc.

I think the next issue that could come to hand is 'commercial' add-ons quite like what the guys at SM2 do atm with Joomla - but from what I have seen no one has actually done anything commercial and I wonder if anyone has any plans for a commercial Library/Model/Helper down the track? As far as I can tell it suits the license for CI much better then Joomla! Ive added the Joomla extensions link to the original post as well.

Lastly I would really like to hear the opinions from EllisLabs/DerekĀ² on this as well - whether they plan to do this or encourage the idea.

We really need a better 'Ignited Code' repository - El Forum - 01-31-2008

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
Personally, I think it'd be cool. Especially as this community expands and grows it would be nice to have some cohesive central repository of information about tools built to help extend CI. Cake has its bakery. CodeIgniter should have its burnery.

We at SM2 are considering developing some CI apps and releasing some open source and making others commercial
We are hoping to be able to build these apps so that they can run stand alone, or integrate into other frameworks such as EE, Joomla!, Mambo, Drupal, OSCommerce etc.

Once CI 1.6 is released I hope to finalise my libraries and start production on a number of apps
As part of that, if nothing already exists, I was thinking of looking into build a CI Code repository site
But if someone else doesnt want to wait that is fine too

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Im really interested to see how you guys go at getting apps to work in other frameworks - it's essentially like 'porting' from what I can tell. One advantage is that in most scenarios I can see one big advantage to this idea - you could have the database structure common for all ports allowing for the portability of the data. Oh and please don't worry about OSCommerce, its never had any real modular approach.

An interesting thought for the name for such a repository if we weren't able to call it 'Ignited Code' would be something with the word 'fuel' in it Wink

thanx for the name idea, but we already have one in mind....

as for how it will integrate it is mostly just a few things it will do
1. be able to use the same session information as the framework
2. be able to use the same user data as the framework
3. if completely integrated it will produce urls in the same format as the framework

doing these it means that even if the app is running stand alone it can use an existing session and user data to integrate

so if we were to integrate to oscommerce (long way off for us realistically because it is not a priority) then after the user has logged into the oscommerce site they do not need to log into our apps because they are sharing the oscommerce (or whatever framework we integrate with) sessions and our app knows information about the user as well.

If completely integrated, link we may offer in CMSes like Joomla! then we will create all the links in the format acceptable to the CMS and the code will run from inside the CMS and be linked directly to the CI code.

We currently have this 3 step approach working in a Joomla! app we are developing for a client.
The only issue with the system at the moment is that it is hard coded to only work integrated into Joomla! and can no longer stand alone.
Once I get the change over the next week or so to look at 1.6 I hope to finalise my libraries so that the core code we use will be able to detect at run time which environment it is running in, or a config option says which environment it likely but it detects the level of integration, and then works from them

At best the user will never have to specify which system they want to integrate with, the code will detect which system it is integrated with and will just work (provided the libraries for the other framework exist) and at worst the administrator will have to set a config option to specify which framework, if any, it will be integrating with and it will determine how much integration is needed to operate. This is the plan to get working first.

Initial tests show what I have to be working very well and the libraries I have include a CRUD framework to speed development.

Its very exciting to work with and hopefully we will be able to pull this off to the level we want.

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
[quote author="tonanbarbarian" date="1201770017"]
I think it should have some of the following features of course
1. Author details
2. Homepage
3. Some categorisation
4. Indicators as to whether it is a complete app, module (i.e. several code files that can be added to an app) or a code snippet. Also maybe indicate whether it is a controller, model, library, helper or plugin, or whether the app or module contains these things.
5. Ratings
6. Reviews
[/quote]

This seems the best idea on the forums for a long time. I have always thought it could be done better, having to store bookmarks to my favourite extensions just doesn't work.

People then go and create a new version in a new post and I don't find it. I don't think as said before we need a forge sort of thing but just a thing a bit like the firefox extension site, then you can have one entry per applications so its easy to find the latest version.

The ideas above is a great idea. The other thing about the wiki is things just get lost in it. Uploaded files get lost. Personaly this would be far better than the wiki for the job.