CodeIgniter Forums
500 Internal Server Error because of a line of code in system/core/CodeIgniter.php - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Development & Programming (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 500 Internal Server Error because of a line of code in system/core/CodeIgniter.php (/showthread.php?tid=57412)

Pages: 1 2 3

500 Internal Server Error because of a line of code in system/core/CodeIgniter.php - El Forum - 03-12-2013

[eluser]brianbabu[/eluser]
Hi Everyone,

I am having a very hard time to figure this out. I had uploaded my CMS which is developed on the CI framework. I have configured the script with the database but however i try to access the index.php file it shows up an Internal Server Error but i could access another file ini.php which is at the same location as the index.php. I do not have .htaccess at the root. Anything that i need to take care about. Please let me know. Its very urgent.

I had posted this issue at daniweb and did get good response but not good enough to solve this problem.

I tried to find the line of code that is creating this error by doing die("Reached index.php....gotcha!!"); and came to know that

Code:
call_user_func_array(array(&$CI, $method), array_slice($URI->rsegments, 2));

this line is creating the problem. Any idea why is it? This is located in system/core/CodeIgniter.php

Is this the problem regarding the version of PHP being used? Cuz i am using WAMP which is running on PHP 5.3 and its working perfectly. the application is to be hosted on a windows environment which ofcourse is IIS7.0. I did a phpinfo() function call it didn't reveal the version of PHP.

What confuses me is that i used the same CI version for another client it worked for her but for this one. Both the websites are on the same server running Windows OS. Any Suggestions guys? I am also trying to get this thing resolved from my end too because i have never dealt with such an error before.

Any help would be great.

THANKS!!

500 Internal Server Error because of a line of code in system/core/CodeIgniter.php - El Forum - 03-13-2013

Hey guys,
It seems my code is fine. It was a server issue. I moved the entire files to another server with IIS installed. The website opened but i couldn't access the admin panel of the website after logging in. do you think i need to set some permissions to some folders. i am just guessing. This is the error i got after logging in.

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Warning
Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\PLESKVHOSTS\vhosts\pdocricket.com\httpdocs\TestCMS\application\controllers\admin.php:43)
Filename: libraries/Session.php
Line Number: 675

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Warning
Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\PLESKVHOSTS\vhosts\pdocricket.com\httpdocs\TestCMS\application\controllers\admin.php:43)
Filename: helpers/url_helper.php
Line Number: 542

Anyone??????????????????????????????????????????????????

500 Internal Server Error because of a line of code in system/core/CodeIgniter.php - El Forum - 03-13-2013

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Do you have a closing PHP tag at the end of your file? If so, you may have trailing whitespace that's causing the problem. Due to this, we recommend that you omit the closing ?> tag in every file.

You may find that something is throwing an error and causing output to be sent. I suggest you check the source code that's being sent to your browser. The error may well be there.

hey, Thanks for the reply. I have to remove the closing tags or all my controllers and models? :-O

You don't have to, but it can help. http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/general/styleguide.html#php_closing_tag

It's also possible that you have a whitespace before an opening PHP tag, although that's a lot less likely.

It might help if we could see the code in your admin controller - particularly line 43.

here is the whole function

public function validate_credentials()
{
$info = array(
"pagetitle" => 'Admin Panel - Login'
);
$this->load->model('login_model');
$result=$this->login_model->validate();
if($result==1)
{
echo "We'll take you to the dashboard shortly";
$data=array(
"users_id" =>$this->login_model->userinfo('users_id',$_POST['username_field'],$_POST['password_field']),
"is_logged_in" =>true
);
$this->session->set_userdata($data);
redirect('dashboard');
}
else
{
$data= array(
'login_error' => 'Invalid Username / Password'
);
$this->load->view('admin/login_button_view',$data);
}
}

It worked flawlessly on my PC - Wampserver. The production server is IIS instead of Apache.

Please could you put your code in code tags?

Which is line 43?

Oh am very sorry! I am so damn desperate right now
Line 43 is $this->session->set_userdata($data);

Code:
public function validate_credentials()
{
  $info = array(
  “pagetitle” => ‘Admin Panel - Login’
  );
  $this->load->model(‘login_model’);
  $result=$this->login_model->validate();
  if($result==1)
  {
  echo “We’ll take you to the dashboard shortly”;
  $data=array(
  “users_id” =>$this->login_model->userinfo(‘users_id’,$_POST[‘username_field’],$_POST[‘password_field’]),
  “is_logged_in” =>true
  );
  $this->session->set_userdata($data);
  redirect(‘dashboard’);
  }
  else
  {
  $data= array(
  ‘login_error’ => ‘Invalid Username / Password’
  );
  $this->load->view(‘admin/login_button_view’,$data);
  }
}

I can't help thinking that the line that's causing the problem is this one:
Code:
echo “We’ll take you to the dashboard shortly”;

Does commenting that out make any difference?

Also, did you check the source code for errors being output? In most browsers it's CTRL + U to view the source.

As a work around, adding:
Code:
ob_start();

to the beginning of your index.php file might help with this. It should mean that anything being output too early should still be buffered, and should stop your app from breaking.