CodeIgniter Forums
Is CodeIgniter development dead? - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived General Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Is CodeIgniter development dead? (/showthread.php?tid=57916)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 05-16-2014

[eluser]Alucemet[/eluser]
At this point I don't think the question should be if development is dead, but if there is a future for CI. I don't mean a future where a small community sticks up for it, but a future where the professional developer community embraces it, uses it, loves it. Honestly, for me, I'd be embarrassed to say, and would never call myself a "CI developer", or that it is my coding foundation of choice.

The code is truly legacy in nature, and while fully tested and "fully baked", the PHP community has mostly moved on. Most modern frameworks are now built with a common structure, and we're now running websites on PHP 5.5.X.

Maybe the question should be, what can CI do to be the framework most devs want to use?

[eluser]koreldan[/eluser]
[quote author="Alucemet" date="1400286606"]At this point I don't think the question should be if development is dead, but if there is a future for CI. I don't mean a future where a small community sticks up for it, but a future where the professional developer community embraces it, uses it, loves it. Honestly, for me, I'd be embarrassed to say, and would never call myself a "CI developer", or that it is my coding foundation of choice.

The code is truly legacy in nature, and while fully tested and "fully baked", the PHP community has mostly moved on. Most modern frameworks are now built with a common structure, and we're now running websites on PHP 5.5.X.

Maybe the question should be, what can CI do to be the framework most devs want to use?[/quote]

For veteran and middle skilled developers would be nice to have a frameworks detailed technical comparison without following fashioned new low life frameworks before choosing new one to invest time and money on.

Would be useful also to understand if CI3 innovations are enough to (self or community) implement ci_session to choose this last version for those customer that not have an hosting with SSH access with right permissions or installed libraries on server.

For new entry developer would be nice to understand what version start to study to easily learn only MVC logic with simple, complete and power framework to build firsts or most projects till getting good idea what framework dress better his way of programming on web.

In last case, entry level have to learn CI2 at the moment, having to migrate or rewrite their projects in a future CI3 release.
With a little community implementation of CI3 they could start learning directly on last and more updated version.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
The only way CI will ever be like the other newer frameworks is with a complete re-write from the ground up.

[eluser]koreldan[/eluser]
What are the new functionality that CI miss to be like others new ?

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 05-17-2014

[eluser]Alucemet[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1400295076"]The only way CI will ever be like the other newer frameworks is with a complete re-write from the ground up.
[/quote]

It can be done. I made my own framework, and some components are from CI. Originally they were mostly from CI, but then found that I liked other components better. For instance doctrine DBAL instead of CI DB. Swift mailer instead of CI email. The one thing I like batter about CI than most frameworks is the routing to controllers, so I built something similar for my routing. For sessions I went with a DB storage only approach. Auth is built in, and most CI helpers were turned into classes. Overall it still has a very CI feel to it, but it's using Pimple for a DI container, Composer for autoloading, and no attempt is ever made to be compatible with older versions of php. This is just the way I roll, which it think is a pretty modern approach.

So why not rewrite CI? Better now than waiting, especially If CI will ever become popular again. There's no hope of that happening without breaking backwards compatibility and making something that modern devs want to use.

Also, THE LICENSE! Let's have MIT or BSD. The license for CI3 is fucking retarded.

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 05-19-2014

[eluser]gdweb[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1400295076"]The only way CI will ever be like the other newer frameworks is with a complete re-write from the ground up.
[/quote]

@InsiteFX is right about that.

EllisLab announced on 9th July, 2013, that they are looking for a new owner. I think they had enough time to take a decision.

If they desn`t publish any news or release v3, until 9th July, 2014, I will leave CodeIgniter and I will searching for a new framework.

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 05-28-2014

[eluser]robert.fulcher[/eluser]
I am starting to agree. This lack of information makes me nervous. I think they could say something!! Next week I am going to DrupalCon and really considering using Drupal 8 as a framework replacement to Codeigniter. I don't see Drupal 8 being left behind. You know it really sucks when you develop a product in something and feel like EllisLab's does not care. I know we use it for free and understand that, it is more like a friend who is ignoring you.

Come on EllisLabs.....Say something we are giving up on you!!!!!

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 05-28-2014

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
Believe me, we'd like to speak about it as much as you'd like to hear about progress, unfortunately we aren't in a position to make public comments yet. We'll be happy to speak openly about the entire process, but it will have to be after the fact.

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 05-30-2014

[eluser]redcloud80[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Jones" date="1401297923"]Believe me, we'd like to speak about it as much as you'd like to hear about progress, unfortunately we aren't in a position to make public comments yet. We'll be happy to speak openly about the entire process, but it will have to be after the fact.[/quote]
Will this happen by the end of this year (2014 Big Grin)?

Is CodeIgniter development dead? - El Forum - 06-05-2014

[eluser]sarciszewski[/eluser]
[quote author="redcloud80" date="1401478786"][quote author="Derek Jones" date="1401297923"]Believe me, we'd like to speak about it as much as you'd like to hear about progress, unfortunately we aren't in a position to make public comments yet. We'll be happy to speak openly about the entire process, but it will have to be after the fact.[/quote]
Will this happen by the end of this year (2014 Big Grin)?[/quote]
If he could comment on that, he'd probably be authorized comment on a lot more.

There are a lot of outstanding issues on github... maybe offer some of your time to help close them if you want to see progress? Smile