CodeIgniter Forums
CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: CodeIgniter 4 (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: CodeIgniter 4 Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer (/showthread.php?tid=72358)

Pages: 1 2

CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - Balenus - 12-10-2018

IMHO one of the main thing that makes CodeIgniter attractive to the developer that approaches for the first time an MVC framework, and what makes it different from big frameworks (like Sinfony and Laravel) is the CodeIgniter extremely simple installation process that do not require to install, learn and use another tool like Composer.

I don't know if you still remember when you installed CodeIgniter for the first time, I was in hurry and I didn't have time to waste playing with another tool (Composer), hence I decided to give CodeIgniter 3 a try because it was the only framework comparable (by widespread user base, and online support/tutorials, etc.) to Laravel/Symfony, but CodeIgniter did not require me to waste time learning another tool.

Hence, I think CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require Composer to be used at all.

What do you think about this?

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - ciadmin - 12-10-2018

CodeIgniter 4 does NOT REQUIRE composer for a basic install.
You have the *option* of using it!
Composer is "required" only if you want to use the "framework" or "appstarter" distributables, *and* to have them update automatically.

Do a MANUAL INSTALLATION for whichever flavor of the distribution you would like. Boom.

This issue has been addressed already. Why are you even bringing it up again?

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - Balenus - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 09:41 AM)ciadmin Wrote: CodeIgniter 4 does NOT REQUIRE composer for a basic install.
You have the *option* of using it!
Composer is "required" only if you want to use the "framework" or "appstarter" distributables, *and* to have them update automatically.

Do a MANUAL INSTALLATION for whichever flavor of the distribution you would like. Boom.

Oh, I'm glad to know it. Smile

(12-10-2018, 09:41 AM)ciadmin Wrote: This issue has been addressed already. Why are you even bringing it up again?

Sorry, but it's not an issue, it's just a suggestion/poll, a sort of open discussion (I posted in "CodeIgniter 4 Discussion")

I thought the framework was still under development, and someone might decide to make it in a way it could be installed only with Composer. Dodgy

I searched in the forum for "Composer" before opening this thread, but I could not come up with another thread talking about this.

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - ciadmin - 12-10-2018

The issue of composer or not composer has come up in a number of different contexts, and been resolved some time ago (over a year).
Your poll appears to be for an already resolved issue Undecided

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - Balenus - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 10:37 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The issue of composer or not composer has come up in a number of different contexts, and been resolved some time ago (over a year).
Your poll appears to be for an already resolved issue Undecided

As I said this thread was not meant to raise an "issue" to "resolve".

I was only concerned the coders/designers who are working on new CI4 might change their mind, I wanted to see how many other users like the idea to install CI4 without Composer, besides me.

Anyway I'm new here, thus I might have misinterpreted the policy of this discussion board (CodeIgniter 4 Discussion) that I thought it was for general discussions (a sort of "bar talk") about CodeIgniter4. Big Grin

Feel free to close this thread if it's not supposed to be here.

There's no harm to having the thread, so long as the history or context are clear Smile

I found a few old threads/polls addressing this:
- Composer?
- Say No To Composer
- Avoiding composer installation, for novice users Smile

These go back to 2015!

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - cartalot - 12-10-2018

hey Balenus I appreciate you posting this - just to hear your initial experience on picking up CI 3 because it did not require composer.

whats so funny - not - is that because CI 3 doesn't require composer - then it has gotten this reputation for not working at all with Composer.
which is not true, CI 3 has built in integration for it.

anyway for CI 4 - i support having Composer instructions front & center for new devs - because thats the way many people work now and so its more obvious that CI 4 works with it.
on the flip side - its worth pointing out that a HUGE advantage of not requiring composer - is then you are compatible with low cost PHP shared server hosting accounts - that do not allow terminal access to the account. that is one of the reasons CI continues to flourish in the real world where people with limited resources are learning and building new apps.

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - skunkbad - 12-11-2018

In this modern age, if you're not fully comfortable with Composer usage, it's my opinion that you're better off learning composer than playing with CodeIgniter. Almost everything worth using is on packagist and available through Composer, and instead of finding and downloading a file, unpacking it, reading how to install it, etc., you just type one command in your terminal and 20 seconds later you're playing with code.

Even when I use CodeIgniter I'm installing it via the terminal, through a bash script I created. If you starting working in the terminal a bit more, you'd get the hang of it.

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - trollfalgar - 12-11-2018

Interesting question.
I liked Codeigniter by its simplicity. I'm happy CI4 will continue that way.

RE: CodeIgniter 4 installation shall not require composer - php_rocs - 12-11-2018

I prefer to keep CI lean and mean. I think that it should not be required.