CodeIgniter Forums
InkType Alpha 2008.04.03 (Pluto) Released! - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Archived Discussions (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Archived Libraries & Helpers (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: InkType Alpha 2008.04.03 (Pluto) Released! (/showthread.php?tid=7307)

Pages: 1 2

InkType Alpha 2008.04.03 (Pluto) Released! - El Forum - 04-03-2008

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
FINALLY!!! I've been trying to get this update out for quite a while now. Balancing a day job, paid work on the side, various open source projects, my wife and two dogs can be a little tricky... hehe. Anyway, here it is! Download InkType by visiting the link in my signature.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS! I need the input. Good, bad, I don't care. If you find bugs, LET ME KNOW! If you have suggestions, LET ME KNOW!

There are a LOT of structural changes to the code with this release. You will need to replace ALL of your files if you have a current InkType installation. Also note that this update will break any custom templates you may have! Please see the new template files (views) regarding the new view / model interaction.

This update includes two SQL files. Use inktype.sql if you do not currently have InkType installed. If you do have InkType installed, use inktype_upgrade.sql. This file includes the differences between the 2008.01.13.3 release and the 2008.04.03.0 release.

ENHANCEMENTS AND NEW FEATURES:

- Upgraded to CodeIgniter 1.6.1
- Posts can now be previewed as they are worked on
- The blog controller no longer passes database information to the templates (views). The views now access data from the database by calling functions with parameters from a newly created library (lib_inktype).
- Templates (views) can now pull the following items from lib_inktype:
--- Blog settings (blog name, description, various other settings)
--- Blogroll
--- Pages
--- Pagination
--- Comments
- The function that loads the views has been moved to lib_inktype
- The function that saves visitor information has been moved to lib_inktype
- Added comment form function to inktype_helper
- Added function inktype_page_link() to inktype_helper
- Began work on user registration with standard registration form
- Removed previous templates
- Added new default template
- Added default_page_id to settings table if main blog page is not to be displayed by default
- Various administration panel enhancements

BUGFIXES:

- Changed the search query to generage WHERE LIKE instead of MATCH AGAINST because CI 1.6.1 backticks the match keyword in $this->db->where("MATCH ...
- Comments now display in proper sort order
- Added ability to enable / disable page from list (icon was there but no functions supported it)
- Corrected bug that disallowed comments from showing as soon as they were posted

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Dogs are the worst time consumers Smile

I've downloaded inktype and it seems you added CI. I think it would be better to limit the download to inktype files and documentation only.

CI has always been included with the download and it is obviously a necessity for InkType to work. InkType is meant both for those who have experience with CI and those who don't, and I don't want people deterred from using it if they've never heard of CodeIgniter. Granted right now I don't have user documentation written, but it's been started, and a basic installation guide for CI newbies will be posted soon.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I understand your point of view but I think you should mention in the documentation which files are part of inktype. I'm not so found on browsing to all those directories to extract the inktype files put it in my application to find out i'm missed some files.

I don't like writing documentation either but as CI shows a lot of people go for well documented software. My validate library has the CI provided template documentation and i have to say you write documentation faster. And CI developers know the style so they can spot errors more easy, i found that out last night.

Look at me randing. i think it's a great contribution and there is a lot of spirit in it so i try to make it better with my annoying comments Smile

I totally agree with you, don't get me wrong. I think things may change quite drastically while InkType heads to official "beta" status. I continue to call it "alpha" to give me time to restructure things as I see fit and to not worry about breakage for current installations.

It's not so much that I don't like writing documentation - I actually do, and I understand and I don't underestimate the value of good documentation. I've recently started on that, and I forgot all about the CI provided template, so thanks for that!!

[eluser]James Pax[/eluser]
lol I love your funky idea about the planets!

Rock on! Big Grin

[eluser]CI Lee[/eluser]
What planets?

In all seriousness I have been very impressed with the last release and this makes a great for a great app to learn from.

I have a suggestion... it needs a photo gallery Wink /inside joke

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
@D13,
Just a tip, as of CI version 1.6 you don't need to concatenate View partials into $page, CI output does this for you.

And a concern, having so many unrelated functions in a single library (lib_inktype) is not so good.

@ darksky and the Canadian: Thanks!

@ wiredesignz: I did not know that (regarding the views)! Must not have read the updated documentation very thoroughly Smile

Also, thanks for suggesting an improvement on that library. Great idea, much appreciated!

InkType Alpha 2008.04.03 (Pluto) Released! - El Forum - 04-05-2008

[eluser]abmcr[/eluser]
Thank you very mutch for your work: i signal a little bug with the TinyMCE editor; i have download the last version of InkType and when i want insert in a post or in a page an image, the image button don't allow me to choose an image on the server.
I attach a image file