CodeIgniter Forums
CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: CodeIgniter 4 (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: CodeIgniter 4 Discussion (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? (/showthread.php?tid=74104)

Pages: 1 2

CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - kilishan - 07-22-2019

I'm planning out a series of tutorials for over at Patreon on making the switch from CI3 to CI4. This won't cover converting an application. Instead it focuses on what do you need to know as a developer to be able to make the switch. There's the obvious things like using namespaces, the new routing system, etc.

For those of you that have already started using CI4, even if just in personal projects, what are the things you found hardest to understand? What things were the biggest changes for you to get used to? What do you wish someone would have sat down with you and walked you through when you first got started?

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - jameslittle - 07-22-2019

I hate to admit it, but CI4 is the first time I've used Composer on a CodeIgniter project. So maybe something about a model environment/workflow using Composer? And then how to make use of the Composer Autoloader to integrate CI with other libraries (like FPDF or Amazon S3)?

The folder structure was a bit of a stumbling block at first ... just knowing to configure /public as the site root in Apache and set the right server permissions for /writable folder. So maybe a tutorial for DevOps on the hosting setup?

Even after playing around with this for several hours, I'm still flummoxed by the .env files and how those do/don't supersede what's in the app/Config files.

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - Avega Soft - 07-22-2019

Personally, the following topics are of interest to me:

• Namespaces practical use in CI4 with examples
  • Routing and more practical examples  
  • Working with database - real app with examples queries  
  • How to use .env in practical examples  
  • How to use Filters in practical examples  
  • How to use Events in practical examples 
  • How to use Honeypot in practical examples 
  • How to use Migrations in practical examples
  • How to use and work Cache / DB-cache in practical examples
  • How to create API in practical examples
And ofcourse i am very waiting your book https://leanpub.com/codeigniter4foundations

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - jasonzig - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 01:10 PM)jameslittle Wrote: I hate to admit it, but CI4 is the first time I've used Composer on a CodeIgniter project. So maybe something about a model environment/workflow using Composer? And then how to make use of the Composer Autoloader to integrate CI with other libraries (like FPDF or Amazon S3)?

The folder structure was a bit of a stumbling block at first ... just knowing to configure /public as the site root in Apache and set the right server permissions for /writable folder. So maybe a tutorial for DevOps on the hosting setup?

Even after playing around with this for several hours, I'm still flummoxed by the .env files and how those do/don't supersede what's in the app/Config files.

I agree completely!

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - jasonzig - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 07:48 PM)Avega Soft Wrote: Personally, the following topics are of interest to me:

And ofcourse i am very waiting your book https://leanpub.com/codeigniter4foundations
+1

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - Digital_Wolf - 07-23-2019

(07-22-2019, 07:48 PM)Avega Soft Wrote: Personally, the following topics are of interest to me:

And ofcourse i am very waiting your book (delete link)

I don't use these COMPOSER and things like that.
As for the file .env, I also remove it from the application as it is easier for me to configure in the configuration files themselves.

What I agree with is that there is no detailed (or incomplete) description of the last six items in the official documentation, starting with the filters.

P.S.: +1 for the last 6 points.

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - website - 07-23-2019

I think CI4 is the same mistake like with CI2/CI3 at the beginning + poor (test?) documentation, some good, but paid courses, some people will use it, the rest will escape to Laravel, Yii, Symfony, which have free tutorials and many stackoverflow topics (like CI3 now).
No one has time to wait, projects have to be done, sad but true.

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - includebeer - 07-24-2019

(07-23-2019, 03:00 AM)website Wrote: I think CI4 is the same mistake like with CI2/CI3 at the beginning + poor (test?) documentation, some good, but paid courses, some people will use it, the rest will escape to Laravel, Yii, Symfony, which have free tutorials and many stackoverflow topics (like CI3 now).
No one has time to wait, projects have to be done, sad but true.

CI4 is not even released yet. Why would you expect to find loads of free tutorials and stackoverflow topics?

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - kilishan - 07-30-2019

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! I've started a new series over at Patreon to cover these topics for supporters. Just launched the first one and it covers .env files.

Don't worry, though, this is not something we're "reserving for paid content". The plan is that once a release candidate is out, the features will be in a fixed state so that we can go back and start polishing the docs.

RE: CI3 to CI4 - hardest transition points? - mladoux - 07-30-2019

(07-22-2019, 07:48 PM)Avega Soft Wrote: Personally, the following topics are of interest to me:

I found .env to be mostly unnecessary, I replace it with a php file that I don't submit to the repo that hosts my confidential configuration values in native php. The fact that .env stores everything as plain text so when you set something to 'false', you don't get a boolean, you get the string 'false'. Same goes for null, true, and any integer. Especially if you're using strict typing, it becomes problematic. Not unsolvable, or even hard to fix, just annoying.