CodeIgniter Forums
inhibiting image download - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: Using CodeIgniter (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Best Practices (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: inhibiting image download (/showthread.php?tid=79737)

inhibiting image download - richb201 - 07-24-2021

I am setting a flag like this in __construct()
$_SESSION['iUploadImage']=0;
Then in _init() I am running
        if ($_SESSION['iUploadImage']==0)  //check to see if already transferred
        {
            $this->MyModel->get_image();  //gets images from s3
            $_SESSION['iUploadImage']=1;  //the files have been transferred
        }

But what I am finding is that $_SESSION['iUploadImage'] keeps getting set back to 0. The goal of this code its to only upload the images once. Any idea why this happens?

RE: inhibiting image download - richb201 - 07-25-2021

I am pretty frustrated with this. I tried using a glob var instead of a session var but it doesn;t work either. Here is the decl

$GLOBALS['iUploadImage']=0;
class Configure extends CI_Controller
{

and here is the test

if ($GLOBALS['iUploadImage']==0)  //check to see if already transferred
        {
            $this->MyModel->get_image();  //gets images from s3
            $GLOBALS['iUploadImage']=1;  //the files have been transferred
        }

This downloading reoccurs everytime a user clicks to a new page. Actually not a new page since this is a single page app.

I want to download the images only once. It would have been much easier if I just saved the thumbnail in mysql. I wanted to also keep the full image so that users could access it years later, but I am running out of patience with the issue with that.

I am using AWS transfer to download the images. The reason I went to S3 at all was the size limitation on MYSQL. While Koolreport can use images directly from mysql, it can't use them from S3. S3 is a much cheaper way to keep large files. 

I am considering reworking this area (ugh!) and keeping the thumnails up on MYSQL, and only download the actual file when a user asks for it. 

This speed issue is killing my app.

RE: inhibiting image download - InsiteFX - 07-27-2021

Why not use chmod to change the permissions on the image folder?

Change it to read only etc;

RE: inhibiting image download - richb201 - 07-27-2021

Insite, won't chmod just give me an error when I try copying? I am currently using

public function __construct()
{
static $hasRun=0;
parent::__construct();
etc...

and then in _init(){

if ($hasRun==0) {
$this->MyModel->get_image(); //gets images from s3
$hasRun=1;
}

I am getting an error that static var $hasRun

Can not define a static var whose scope is global?

RE: inhibiting image download - ojmichael - 07-27-2021

PHP Code:
static::$hasRun 1

RE: inhibiting image download - richb201 - 07-27-2021

static $hasRun=0;

Message: Access to undeclared static property: Configure::$hasRun

RE: inhibiting image download - InsiteFX - 07-28-2021

it will not give you an error as long as you set it to owner, owner will only allow you access.

RE: inhibiting image download - richb201 - 07-28-2021

(07-28-2021, 02:56 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: it will not give you an error as long as you set it to owner, owner will only allow you access.

I am actually not the owner. This is running inside a Docker container. When I click on the file in filemanager it says that I am the owner but I think that Docker makes its own copies and who knows who actually owns it.

RE: inhibiting image download - richb201 - 07-28-2021

The problem I see with CI3 in general is that there seems to be no way to set up an environment for a first time user. Everything runs ALL THE TIME! Other must have had this problem before?