CodeIgniter Forums
Why do you use CI? What is your job? - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Lounge (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Why do you use CI? What is your job? (/showthread.php?tid=82394)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Why do you use CI? What is your job? - includebeer - 07-13-2022

(07-06-2022, 08:10 AM)demyr Wrote: Even though I have my own CMS made with CI I regret having built it with a framework. Because they are updated often and your system falls behind. If you want to update, you must consider that you have more than 15 companies using this CMS and it can easily turn into a kind of nightmare.

I don't understand the logic behind that. If the new version contains bug fixes or security fixes, then all you have to do is install the code. If it was all custom code, you would have to fix it yourself. With a framework, the bugs are fixed by others. How is this a problem? Also, you don't need to always upgrade to the latest version. If the latest version contains mostly new features that you don't need at the moment, or it contains bug fixes in libraries you don't use, you can always skip that update.

What I personally found to be an upgrade nightmare is when there's always breaking changes. Fortunately, with CI there's not a lot of breaking change (with the exception of CI3 to Ci4, of course! Wink )

And to answer the original question, I started using CI for some web apps at work (only used internally in our intranet). I also use CI for personal projects.

RE: Why do you use CI? What is your job? - InsiteFX - 07-13-2022

The thing I found that is a problem is when changes are made to the app files. Otherwise it's smooth going.

RE: Why do you use CI? What is your job? - Son of Troy - 07-15-2022

Very good question.

I recently started using CodeIgniter V.4. For me it's a really good framework. I'm still learning the in's and out's of their MVC architecture. Other than the documentation and this forum, I can't seem to find other good sources of CI4 documentation or video's.

I'm currently in the process of transitioning career paths. To me the tech industry is the wave of the future and I want to be apart of that future. Once I establish myself, I want to go further and learn everything I cant about Software Engineering and what it means to be a powerful programmer.

My end goal will be to branch out and start my own company or digital agency using the skills that I have learned.  PHP and it's framework eco systems are a great tool and a valuable asset. I won't take it for granted.

My biggest setback was when the country was shutdown and everything went remote. I want to network and volunteer but the shutdown directly and indirectly prevented my from accomplishing that first step goal.

My most recent project, I'm building a wrestling website for a local high school in my area. the project will have a  login and register form, and a control panel with CRUD architecture. it'll allow the user to dynamically update their schedule and roster.