Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PHP IDE

[eluser]Tai Sheppard[/eluser]
Hey All,

I just discovered CodeIgnitor yesterday and I'm very excited to switch over from my current framework to using this one.

I normally develop in Dreamweaver and will probably still do the design element of my projects in DW but I'm looking for some suggestions on an IDE so that I can develop properly using CI.

Specifically if someone can tell me what the IDE is that Derek (Jones) is using in the Tutorial Videos that seems like a good choice since I'm using Mac OS X.

Thanks so much and I appreciate any suggestions.

Tai

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Derek uses Textmate for Mac. I use Eclipse (PHPclipse), and have yet to find anything better, personally.

Thanks Colin.

I'm all over your Template Library BTW!

PHPEclipse or perhaps Sourceforge is down. I've been trying to get PHPEclipse since early yesterday. I tried Zend Studio and it's just cumbersome and really bloated. Does PHPEclipse suffer from the same bloat, since I can't actually check it out right now?

Thanks.

Tai

[eluser]Eric Cope[/eluser]
I design on a Windows machine and sometimes code in Dreamweaver. I mostly code on my Linux laptop using Bluefish. It does a great job in my opinion. Which OS do you use?

Hey Eric,

I work on a Mac PowerBook G4 running Tiger 10.4.11. I also run my own local dev server with MAMP Pro and a DynDNS domain so my partners (who use DW) can check in/out files, and we get a live domain to develop on.

I had upgraded to Leopard but the older PPC Macs just aren't designed to rock Leopard out like the Intel Macs.

One of these days I'll get around to getting a MacBookPro, I'm just dreading moving all my files.

BTW I've decided to go with TextMate which absolutely rocks! I love it, so easy to use. So thanks to Colin for hooking me up with that, awesome.

Nice to meet you Eric. :coolsmile:

Tai

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
A fabulous IDE (although commercial and expensive - which can be offputting) is Vs.PHP.

I've used it for a while, can't say a bad word about it. Definitely worth a look. Can find it over at jcxsoftware.com (Windows only).

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
PHPclipse is not bloated for me (I even run it on a 128 MB, Windows 98 machine sometimes). Some call it a hog, but it's never run heavier than Photoshop or Firefox (Eclipse seems to have good garbage collection. You can actually monitor it right there in the IDE).

My only problem with Eclipse is that there does not exist a solid FTP/SFTP client.

Well maybe it's just the Mac version. It's a monster resource hog on a PPC. I even run the max 2G of RAM on my Notebook and still it was just slow as sin.

But what I actually meant by "bloated" is that it's overkill for me. I don't have ANY need for 90% of that stuff in there, and no desire to spend the time learning how to use it. I like the idea of Textmate in that it's very simple to use, write code, test it, deploy it, no fuss -- no muss.

Sorry if I was unclear. Not that Eclipse is not a good program, I'm sure it is very good, just way more than I need. I'm all about light and simple.

That's why I love CI :coolsmile:

Tai

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Hi Tai,

Aptana Studio is a lightweight cousin to Eclipse, it may be more suited to your needs.

http://www.aptana.com

[eluser]adamfairholm[/eluser]
If you're looking for something that isn't overkill, maybe give Panic Software's "Coda" a try. It's got a very nice Cocoa interface that works great with Tiger, and the interface doesn't get it the way of working, which I've found to personally be a problem with a lot of the IDEs I've used. I've used it for around 6 months and I've loved it. It reminds me of textmate but with some of the other stuff I need thrown in like subversion and FTP. Great highlighting, too.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB