Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter and PHPSpeedy tuning up your website's performance

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
Hi everyone, we recently released Speedy which is a small module for Webber and also wrote a small tutorial for everyone else interested in optimizing their Codeignitered websites by reducing the HTTP requests.

The module uses PHPspeedy to make everything possible and I really hope the tutorial will walk you through the process of implementing it in any other project based on codeigniter.

Here's the link:
http://www.drsoft.com/b/Webber_blog_modu..._tuning-72

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
This look promising, have you got any speed test results to back up the claims? I hope it gets used, im sure it will, as it looks so good, or could do such a good job.

The results are on the presentation page of PHPSpeedy. You can see their demo as it does the same thing. It's pretty impressive if you ask me. Nothing new but very useful and often left behind...

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
[quote author="manilodisan" date="1225601244"]The results are on the presentation page of PHPSpeedy. You can see their demo as it does the same thing. It's pretty impressive if you ask me. Nothing new but very useful and often left behind...[/quote]

Those YSlow screenshots are a little biased though. They moved their javascript to the bottom in the after shot :lol: .

I've never used PHP speedy, but I've had my own script to do this for a while and it does make a difference. Great job on Webber, manilodisan.

[eluser]TheLoops[/eluser]
Hi Manilodisan,

you could just have used my AssetLibPro library (see signature) which I wrote
with PHPSpeedy in mind and which adds several big improvements to it. Wink

Cheers,
Vincent

[quote author="TheLoops" date="1225602840"]Hi Manilodisan,

Cheers,
Vincent[/quote]

Hmm..I missed it Vincent. I recall reading that thread awhile ago..it's good to have it arround. Too bad I had to modify phpspeedy since it had some small bugs. Maybe your copy would have performed better.

lol @inparo, good eye for details. Never saw it..

[quote author="manilodisan" date="1225604076"][quote author="TheLoops" date="1225602840"]Hi Manilodisan,

Cheers,
Vincent[/quote]

Hmm..I missed it Vincent. I recall reading that thread awhile ago..it's good to have it arround. Too bad I had to modify phpspeedy since it had some small bugs. Maybe your copy would have performed better.[/quote]I actually tried porting PHPSpeedy to CI myself. It contained several dirty hacks and was quite bloated and buggy and thus I took the basic implementation from AssetLib and built my own version of PHPSpeedy with it from scratch. Apart from using TinyCSS instead of just JSMinify I added several other features to it and fixed several issues that I had found in PHPSpeedy. For a complete feature set look here: http://code.google.com/p/assetlib-pro/

Anyway, it's nice to see Webber care about performance and bandwidth Smile

Have you had any successful results minifying jquery and some of it's plugins? I can't load more js files and also minify them without errors. It should work with basic functions and stuff but when you get more advanced jsmin seems to fail or it's because some javascript isn't supposed to stay next to another Tongue

Nope. Never tried it with jQuery or such.

But aren't there two versions available for jQuery? ("Development" ~95kb & "Production" ~15kb)

That's not the problem. When you minify some of the plugins you get errors. I never got the jsmin class to work with more advanced js's

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB