Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Would Protoype and CI be slow?

[eluser]peterbz[/eluser]
I was planning to use the Prototype framework with CodeIgniter. I was just wondering if this would increase the footprint as using frameworks usually decreases performance to sacrifice for saving time in coding.

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
It will increase the footprint of your website, though that has nothing to do with CI or using it with CI. Everything extra you load will increase your footprint.

But to go into your question "Would Prototype and CI be slow?". Probably nothing slower than Prototype with any other kind of server-side support code. So it comes down to Prototype itself, I've been using it extensively for 4 months now and I must say I'm quite satisfied with it. So to answer your question indirectly: CodeIgniter & Prototype are both excellent frameworks which I would very much recommend based on by experience with both and using them together.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Any framework (whether it be PHP, Javascript, Ruby, Python) is going to decrease performance. You have to make a call as to whether the degradation in performance makes up for your ability to develop in that particular environment.

Both CodeIgniter and Prototype (although I prefer jQuery) are superior frameworks for their languages with amazing performance. Time and time again these frameworks dominate their competitors in benchmarks. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Big Grin

[eluser]peterbz[/eluser]
Thanks for all your fast replies. Now are there any greatly recommended javascript frameworks that would tie in with CI? I'm was looking at Prototype with scriptaculous because of the scriptaculous's cool user interface enhancements, but does anyone know if they have any major known issues with browser support and such?

[eluser]kgill[/eluser]
If you're giving thought to other JS frameworks, take a second look at jQuery and its UI parts, besides how can you go wrong with a framework that was put together by the same man responsible for firebug. Actually, a better indicator was this years Ajaxian conference, one of the questions put to the ask the experts panel was what framework would you use if you weren't allowed to use your own - jQuery was the one mentioned most.

[eluser]Nick Husher[/eluser]
I'll reinforce the recommendations for jQuery, although if you're going to be doing some heavyweight javascript-powered interfaces, I'd strongly urge you to take a look at YUI. It's more verbose, but the API for developing very sophisticated UIs is far more robust.

[eluser]peterbz[/eluser]
Yeah, the main reason I want to integrate any Javascript is just for strong UI purposes. So is YUI the best for UI compared to the "effects" that jQuery and Prototype offer?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
kgill firebug is not created by John Resig, he only supports the add-on like he supports firefox for a living.

Prototype is made popular by the rails community because it's build in the framework but now that the other libraries have matured it's up to you to select the one that does things the way you like it.

John Resig even blurs the lines between the libraries even more with his sizzle project:
Quote:Currently this engine is expected to become the new default selector engine of jQuery, MochiKit, Prototype, and Dojo.

Edit : damn i have to much power Smile a few hours after i posted this response an ajaxian post reached me by rss.

[eluser]Nick Husher[/eluser]
[quote author="peterbz" date="1228395833"]Yeah, the main reason I want to integrate any Javascript is just for strong UI purposes.[/quote]

It's been my experience that with other libraries, you either have to use the stuff made by others or roll your own from the ground up. YUI is based heavily on a modular extension model, so you can create a subclass of one of the existing UI objects and build off of their platform. Or, you can use one of their provider objects to make it easier to manage object configuration, event handling, etc.

The downside of this is twofold: First, YUI tends to be between 10% and 80% heavier in bit weight than jQuery. Second, you need to know Javascript--you really need to know it. jQuery is much more approachable in this respect.

[eluser]peterbz[/eluser]
[quote author="Nick Husher" date="1228420062"]It's been my experience that with other libraries, you either have to use the stuff made by others or roll your own from the ground up. YUI is based heavily on a modular extension model, so you can create a subclass of one of the existing UI objects and build off of their platform. Or, you can use one of their provider objects to make it easier to manage object configuration, event handling, etc.[/quote]
By using stuff made by others, are you referring to something like scriptalicious for Prototype?

Also, is YUI slow compared to jQuery UI? I want something that would provide very nice UI enhancements without much hassle but at the same time leave behind as small of footprint as possible.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB