Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Setting up a web development environment

[eluser]copernicus[/eluser]
I plan to develop a site pretty soon and will mostly be doing it on my local machine (MAMP for Mac) and will host it on Dreamhost. What PHP settings should I take notice of if I want to have Codeigniter work exactly the same on both the host area and my local machine?

[eluser]Tom Schlick[/eluser]
register_globals to off
safe_mode to off

dreamhost to another host.... sorry i have heard bad things.

[eluser]copernicus[/eluser]
What would you recommend? Also, do I need to worry about any Apache settings?

[eluser]Tom Schlick[/eluser]
well for your dev enviroment it usually will come with the default settings so if you want the same as ur production enviroment you should mimic the settings...(copy the ones the server has)

as for a host there are a shitload out there. everyone has their favorites and the ones that they hate but as for myself i have tried both hostgator (cheaper shared hosting .... 4.95 i believe) i have never had a problem with them but moved to a bigger box at (mt)Media Temple. they have a grid server option which is $20 a month which isnt too bad. its up to you really.

[eluser]bobbybaboon[/eluser]
I have several sites running off of a Dreamhost shared hosting plan. I really like their control panel because its easy to get around and has some nice options, nothing too extravagant though. They're also really cheap. I'm splitting an account with two other friends and we run around 10 sites off of our account for a really small annual fee. But you get what you pay for. There's a lot more downtime than I'd like - probably two or three times a week for an hour each time. So one day I'll want to change, but for running small projects that don't get too much exposure it works well.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB